Best Things To Add to Your Nightly Routine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

In college, of course you don’t exactly have a strict “bed time”. You might spend one night under a blanket by 8 or another at the bar until 2 am. It can feel like you’re never getting enough sleep, but it helps to stick to some kind of a routine. Little things you do before bed can make the next morning or simply falling asleep seem like less of a chore, so here’s a few ideas you can add to your bedtime routine.

1. Drink sleepy time tea.

For anyone that can’t stop eating out of boredom or having a snack before bed, this will help make the switch. It’ll reduce your appetite late at night and keep you busy. Plus, there’s nothing quite like cuddling under your blanket with a warm drink.

2. Opt for a book instead of another episode of Netflix.

Have you ever gotten to the point of watching so many episodes before bed that your eyes almost hurt? We’ve all been there. Reading instead will make you drowsy and help you sleep better, the complete opposite effect of staying up on your laptop.

3. Try meditating.

You might be thinking meditation’s not for you and even had friends push you to try it before with no success. If you have trouble falling asleep or simply want to relax before bed, it will do wonders. All the annoying thoughts that run through your mind as you lie in bed struggling to fall asleep will disappear.

4. Always, always floss.

Sure, you get this advice every six months at the dentist and have been nagged by your mother too, but chances are you don’t follow it. Stop acting like spending one more minute in the bathroom after brushing your teeth is some ordeal you couldn’t be bothered to do. It’ll force you to make it a nightly habit and add one more way of practicing self care to your daily routine.

5. Pick out your outfit.

Waking up to an alarm and realizing you have a full day of work ahead can really suck. Simply laying out what you’re going to wear and putting out a bowl for cereal in the morning will make your mood just a little less annoyed on Monday morning.

Even with the crazy pace of college life and endless reasons to avoid adopting a nightly routine, it will work wonders in helping you sane through all your stressors. Try at least one of these additions and see just how much better you feel come morning.