Wellness

A Beginner’s Guide To Going To The Gym

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Going to any gym can be overwhelming; it seems as though everyone feels like they are being watched and judged by everything they try and do. In reality, everyone’s focused on their own thing; no matter how experienced or inexperienced you are at the gym, no one is watching you! Now is the time to start going to the gym. Moving your body doesn’t only help your body, but it improves your mental health too. Don’t get intimidated by others around you — you do you! I started working out a little over a year ago, and going to the gym almost every day has gotten me in shape, helped me relieve stress, and made me more confident, believe it or not. Here is a beginner’s guide to working out at the gym! 

Remember that everyone’s bodies are different, and what may work for one person might not be best for someone else. Always do what feels right for your body, and consult your doctor if any medical concerns arise.

Should I Do Cardio?

Many people start with cardio once they build up the confidence to go to the gym, mainly because cardio machines are usually in one section, and there are other women, so it’s more comfortable. But, unfortunately, there has been a lot of backlash on cardio, not only because it’s not as fun to most people, but on social media, many people don’t think it’s worth it. But it all comes down to what you are trying to accomplish when going to the gym. 

There are many options for cardio, including the treadmill, Stairmaster, elliptical, bikes, and much more. The 12-3-30 workout is off the charts on social media: this means going on the treadmill at an incline of 12, at the speed of 3 miles an hour for 30 minutes. Many people have seen amazing results with this workout, especially geared toward fat loss. But you don’t even need to have a plan — sometimes, I go to the gym and walk on the treadmill for an hour or two to clear my mind and move my body for the day. 

You should not be ashamed of just doing cardio. There are many benefits, including improving mental health, mood, and sleep; it’s great for weight regulation and helps your metabolism.

SHould I lift weights?

Have you ever seen the girls that have been lifting weights on social media, and they see the “Pilates girls” and “regret” building muscle instead of being a slim Pilates-kind-of girl? Well, both are great. Every body is an amazing body no matter what, and it’s up to you what kind of workout is right for you, and you can always change it up.

I lift weights to gain muscle throughout my body. The scary part was the weight area at my local gym; like many gyms, there are mainly men in the weight section, so getting through even to grab the weights can be uncomfortable. Don’t be scared or embarrassed when you are grabbing 5-pound or 10-pound weights when others are grabbing 50s, everyone has to start somewhere, and this is just the beginning of your journey. 

You can use weights just to get toned or to gain a lot of muscle and bulk up; it’s really up to you! Some people think that lifting weights means you are going bulk up and, like older generations think, “look like a man,” but that’s not true. Lift as much as you want or as little as you want to start sculpting the body you strive to have. 

One tip I have for you is that if you lift weights, you should also do some cardio. Also, have a balance between working out different parts of your body. I do not suggest to workout your lower body or upper body only; space it out, you will not only become uneven, but it will also take longer to gain muscle. Make sure to rest because your muscles need a day or so to relax and grow. 

What classes should I take?

There are so many different types of classes; it is really up to you! My favorites are spin class with the bike — that is one of my cardio days, and you feel great afterward. You can technically use the bike on your own, but being in a class can motivate you to push yourself and be more accomplished together. Another class I love is Pilates. I have never gone to a Pilates reformer class, but there are so many tools you can use to replace the reformer. Again, Pilates as a class is more motivational and more fun with people that like the same thing you do — you can even make some amazing new friends and then have a gym buddy. 

There are dance, core, toning, and many other classes, depending on your community and location. Look out for some classes you will enjoy and test them out; it may just be your new favorite thing. Take opportunities, too, if your college or school offers classes. College is a place to try new things and find what’s right for you! 

How many days a week should I GO?

This question depends on you. Start slow because going from zero days to six or seven days can hurt you rather than help you. I remember when I started college, the gym was one of the only things I could do during the winter because no one wanted to be outside, so I went from three days to seven days a week, which was a mistake. My body started to shut down because I was doing too much and not resting at all. I started feeling weaker and dizzy and realized I was over-exercising and that I should slow down. Also, if you go too much, you may start to get tired of it, and if the mind wants to see results fast, but it doesn’t work like that — so you may feel like working out is not working and quit. Don’t give up! I would start two days a week, get more comfortable with the environment and your body, and add a day or two when you are ready! 

Moving your body has many benefits, and I think you should try it out, but I may be biased because I am considered a “gym rat.” However, I have felt more confident about myself and my body, along with the fact that moving your body is a great stress reliever. Do it once; you will see how much better you feel, you will feel more productive and healthier. It’s a nice feeling internally while having great internal and external benefits. Understand that you are not alone in being uncomfortable when you first go; all of us have been anxious about what people think of us while working out when in reality, everyone is just focusing on themselves and their routines. Start with cardio, start with classes, start with lifting weights, start with something, and find what’s right for you, and you will see growth in yourself.

Patti Oliva

U Conn '24

Hi! I am a Junior at The University of Connecticut in HerCampus!