This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

So far, 2017 has been a great year for some very inspiring women and their black girl magic.

1. Beyoncé’s Pregnancy Announcement

Beyoncé broke the internet when she announced that she was pregnant with twins in early February. The post broke the Instagram record for most likes on a photo, which was previously held by Selena Gomez. The photo has over 10 million likes and 500,000 comments.

2. Viola Davis Being the First African American to Win an Emmy, Oscar, and a Tony for Acting

She is only the 23rd person to win the Triple Crown – an Emmy, Tony and an Oscar. She previously won an Emmy in 2015 for Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series for playing her character, Annalise Keating in the ABC show How to Get Away With Murder, and won two Tony awards; one in 2001 for King Hedley II and again in 2010 for the Broadway production of Fences. Davis is also the first African American to have three Academy Award nominations.

3. Rihanna Received the Harvard University Humanitarian of the Year Award

Rihanna was awarded the Harvard University Humanitarian of the Year Award for her charity work in public health and education for young girls. When she was 18, she founded the BELIEVE Foundation. Six years later, in 2012, she established the Clara Lionel Foundation, named after her grandparents.

4. Tracee Ellis Ross Being the First African American Woman to Win a Golden Globe Since 1983

This is the first Golden Globe win for Ross, but it was the first time since 1983 that a black woman has won Best Actress. Ross won for her acting on the ABC show Black-ish.

5. Rachel Lindsay Being the First African American Bachelorette

After 15 years, ABC announced last month that Rachel Lindsey, a contestant on the 21st season of The Bachelor, will be the Bachelorette in season 13 of the show.

6. An African American Lady Liberty to be Printed on a U.S. Coin

For the first time in history, an African American woman will be printed on a U.S coin, representing Lady Liberty. The 24k gold coin is worth $100.

7. All of the African American Women Sworn into Office

Even though the 2016 presidential election wasn’t the best, some good did come out of it. Kamala Harris of California was the second African American woman and the first Indian American to be elected to the U.S. Senate. She is also the first black woman to represent California in the Senate. Ilhan Omar is the first Somali-American Muslim woman to be elected to a state legislature in Minnesota.

We slay!

Cover Image Source

Keyanna is a senior Journalism major, Women Gender & Sexuality Studies minor at UConn. She loves reading and writing just as much as she loves sleeping in! She has no clue what she wants to do when she graduates, but she has a while to figure it out.