books on brown wooden shelf
books on brown wooden shelf
Susan Yin/Unsplash

5 UConn Q Courses For Non-Math Majors

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Each semester, many UConn students face the same issue: selecting a Q course that they will be able to pass without too much trauma along the way. For those who’s strongest subjects are not math related, making this choice can be difficult as there’s not a lot of information available as to which classes will be the least painless and there isn’t very much room for trial and error. In order to make this process a little easier, the women of Her Campus UConn have compiled a list of 5 great options for Q courses for non-math majors. Though everyone learns differently, and thus not all of these classes will work for everyone, we hope that this list will help guide you in the right direction when it comes time to choose a dreaded Q course. 

1. Problem Solving (Math 1020Q) 

This class is definitely well-known for being one of the simpler Q courses. As the title of the class suggests, the syllabus is based in probem solving, which means lots of word problems, trial and error, and working with groups. This math class is different from many others as it really doesn’t involve many calculations, but is really about thinking in a different way. Not everyone loves the concept of “re-thinking” math, but if you are better with word problems than calculations and formulas, you will probably do well in this course. 

2. Elementary Discrete Mathematics (Math 1030Q) 

This class, similarly to probem solving, revolves not around calcuations and formulas, but around problem solving and critical thinking. “Math 1030Q was a blast. All I did was basic probability and mapping out random shapes with triangles. For someone who is pretty disastrous at math, I found it easy and almost fun. Crazy stuff.” – Dana, HC UConn Writer. A lot of this course focuses on word problems, quantitative reasoning and communicating using pictures, symbols, and words. Additionally, this class doesn’t focus on final answers. Instead, the instructor places a lot more weight on how you explain your answer and how well you show your steps for each problem. Basically, this means that even if you don’t get the answer to a math problem correct, if you work to understand the process and explain your work, you can still succeed! 

3. Mathematics for Business and Economics (Math 1070Q) 

This class definitely involves more traditional math than 1020Q or 1030Q. However, it is not as difficult as a traditional math class such as calculus because it is catered towards students who are coming at the course with non-math backgrounds. Not everyone is going to think this class is easy, but it is definitely one of the simpler alternatives and the instructors are more than willing to help you out as they understand that as a lower level math course, lots of people are taking the class simply to fulfill a requirement. 

4. Quantitative Analysis in Political Science (POLS 2072Q) 

Though not many people think to look in the Political Science department to fulfill a Q requirement, if you are someone who struggles with calculations, formulas, and “traditional” math, this class could be for you. The course involves using the program STATA and is largely centered around using math to understand political data. If you pay attention in class and learn the STATA program, you can likely succeed in this course. Like 1020Q and 1030Q, this class doesn’t involve much “traditional” math and instead, requires you to think in a “story-lead” sense where you use the STATA program to help you analyze political data. Additionally, the grading structure of this class is beneficial for those who struggle with math as there are four shorter exams instead of the traditional two, meaning that if you struggle with one or two of the exams, you will likely not automatically be in danger of failing the course. Finally, this class requires a paper at the end of the semester and although you do have to include math concepts in the writing of your paper, for those who are stronger with writing than they are with math, this paper can definitely work in your favor. P.S. The reccommended prerequisites for this course are high school Algebra II and a mathematics course. 

5. Elementary Conecpts of Statistics (STAT 1100Q) 

If you’re someone who struggles with math, when choosing a Q course you have likely run across multiple people telling you to take statistics. Stats is usually the type of course that you will likely either struggle with or find to be easy as (similarly to 1020Q and 1030Q) it is a course that involves a different way of “thinking” about math. Stats definitely involves more traditional math than 1020Q and 1030Q do, but the course is not reliant on formulas and calculations as much as a “traditional” math course would be. Additionally, this class involves the integral use of a computer program and has a lab component. 

Hopefully these reccommendations help you in picking your Q courses. Good luck Collegiettes! 

Cover Image Source

Olivia is a Journalism and English double major who spends entirely too much time watching Netflix and is not even sorry about it. She loves to sing, write feminist musings, hang out with her pets and fantasize about a world in which everything tastes like Nutella. In another life she is best friends with Veronica Mars and married to Logan Echolls (and they're both totally cool with it).