This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Alberta chapter.

I recently found out about the TED app and I’m surprised I didn’t download it sooner. There’s a large variety of talks on numerous topics in a very accessible format. I’ve already added plenty of videos to my list! Not only are they entertaining but they’re also educational and provide an opportunity for reflection.  Below are some videos that I’m looking forward to watching. There are a lot on my list that fall under different categories but for now I’ve listed some that fall under self-growth. I can’t wait to watch them and gain a new perspective and I recommend you do the same, you may learn something new about yourself!

1. The power of vulnerability – Brené Brown

“Brené Brown studies human connection – our ability to empathize, belong, love. In a poignant, funny talk, she shares a deep insight from her research, one that sent her on a personal quest to know herself as well as to understand humanity.” – TEDxHouston 2010

2. 3 secrets of resilient people – Lucy Hone

“Everyone experiences loss, but how do you cope with the tough moments that follow? Resilience researcher Lucy Hone shares three hard-won strategies for developing the capacity to brave adversity, overcome struggle and face whatever may come head-on with fortitude and grace.” – TEDxChristchurch 2019

3. What makes a good life? Lessons from the longest study on happiness – Robert Waldinger

“What keeps us happy and healthy as we go through life? If you think it’s fame and money, you’re not alone – but according to psychiatrist Robert Waldinger, you’re mistaken. As the director of a 75-year-old study on adult development, Waldinger has unprecedented access to data on true happiness and satisfaction. In this talk, he shares three important lessons learned from the study as well as somep tactical, old-as-the-hills wisdom on how to build a fulfilling, long life.” – TEDxBeaconStreet 2015

4. The gift and power of emotional courage – Susan David

“Psychologist Susan David shares how the way we deal with our emotions shapes everything that matters: our actions, careers, relationships, health and happiness. In this deeply moving, humorous and potentially life-changing talk, she challenges a culture that prizes positivity over emotional truth and discusses the powerful strategies of emotional agility.” – TEDWomen 2017

5. To overcome challenges, stop comparing yourself to others – Dean Furness

“When you stop comparing yourself to others, you can accomplish great things, says wheelchair athlete Dean Furness. He shares how, after losing the use of his legs in an accident, he discovered a powerful new mindset focused on redifdefining his ‘personal average’ and getting better little by little.” – TED@WellsFargo 2020

Sources:

Brown, Brené. “The power of vulnerability.” TEDxHouston, June 2010, 

www.ted.com/talks/brene_brown_the_power_of_vulnerability

David, Susan. “The gift and power of emotional courage.” TEDWomen, November 2017, www.ted.com/talks/susan_david_the_gift_and_power_of_emotional_courage.

Furness, Dean. “To overcome challenges, stop comparing yourself to others.” TED@WellsFargo, February 2020, www.ted.com/talks/dean_furness_to_overcome_challenges_stop_comparing_yourself_to_others.

Hone, Lucy. “3 secrets of resilient people.” TEDxChristchurch, August 2019, www.ted.com/talks/lucy_hone_3_secrets_of_resilient_people.

Waldinger, Robert. “What makes a good life? Lessons from the longest study on happiness.” TEDxBeaconStreet, November 2015, www.ted.com/talks/robert_waldinger_what_makes_a_good_life_lessons_from_the_longest_study_on_happiness.

The Power of Vulnerability – Brené Brown

3 Secrets of Resilient People – Lucy Hone

What Makes A Good Life? Lessons From The Longest Study On Happiness – Robert Waldinger

The Gift and Power of Emotional Courage – Susan David

To Overcome Challenges, Stop Comparing Yourself to Others – Dean Furness

Hone, Lucy. “3 secrets of resilient people.” TEDxChristchurch, August 2019, /www.ted.com/talks/lucy_hone_3_secrets_of_resilient_people.

Robin is a senior student at the University of Alberta in Edmonton, Alberta. She is getting a Science Degree, with a Psychology major and a double minor in Sociology & Biology. Part-time jobs, full-time classes, various student groups and volunteering fill most of her time. Robin is the 2020/2021 President of Her Campus at UAlberta and served as the social media director for the 2018/2019 year!