This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Alberta chapter.

If you know me, you know I’m kind of obsessed with baking. Every Saturday, I haul out my mixer and whip up something to snack on throughout the week. Some weeks this is a simple batch of cookies, and other weeks this is an elaborate project that not only takes all day, but likely uses every utensil in my kitchen as well. That being said, some things just hit differently this time of year. Pumpkin, warm spices, and things that pair well with a cup of tea are all high on my list. If you’re looking for something to do one weekend, or just want a sweet snack, I highly suggest you give one of the following recipe’s a whirl! For ease of reference, I have listed these recipes from simple projects to complex bakes.

Ginger Molasses Cookies

When I think of fall baked goods, the first thing that comes to mind is the classic ginger molasses cookies. These are so nostalgic for me. As a kid, they were one of my absolute favorites, but something that I spent hours baking batches of with my Aunt. If you have a family recipe, I highly recommend you give that a try, but if not, you can try THIS recipe from Gimme Some Oven, a tried and true food blog.

Pumpkin Streusel Muffins

Full disclosure: I’ve already made these twice. Also full disclosure: they are absolutely amazing. These muffins are moist, not too sweet, and store incredibly well. If you’re looking for a fall muffin that is perfect to bring you out of a mid-afternoon slump, these are the muffins for you! If I have one suggestion, it would be to use a little bit more butter than called for in the streusel recipe to bind the mixture together better. You can find the recipe HERE

Apple Cider Doughnut Loaf Cake

While I’ve never had an apple cider doughnut before, these babies have a cult like following on the internet. However, in spite of their cult following, the last thing I want to do on a Saturday afternoon is heat a pot of oil to dangerous temperatures and fry doughnuts. That’s where this loaf cake comes in. All of the deliciousness, none of the dangerous, greasy mess. You can find the recipe HERE

Pumpkin Whoopie Pies

Oh, whoopie pies, how I love you. If you don’t know, a whoopie pie consists of two cakey cookies and a sweet frosting sandwiched together. It’s a match made in heaven and transports me back to my childhood. While traditional whoopie pies generally use chocolate cookies, this recipe incorporates a fall twist on the classic, with pumpkin cookies and a brown butter cream cheese filling. These little pies are perfect for sharing, or keeping to yourself, we don’t judge! You can find the recipe HERE

Sweet Potato Loaf Cake

As you can probably tell from this  list, I have a bit of a thing for loaf cakes. This recipe comes from one of Tartine Bakery’s beloved cookbooks, cookbooks which are generally regarded as baking bibles. This recipe can be made with either sweet potato or pumpkin, and features a crisp-on-the-top-chewy-in-the-middle meringue topping. This is definitely high on my list of unique fall bakes to try this season. You can find the recipe HERE

Cardamom Pistachio Carrot Cake

Carrot cake might not be the first thing on your mind when you think about fall treats. However, this cake (which I have made, and can say is delightful!) is spiced with warm cinnamon and cardamom, features toasty brown butter, and is topped with a sticky glaze. All of the things I look forward to in the fall. It’s incredible and very impressive. When I made this cake, I made the unconventional glaze in the recipe, and I’m so glad I did! If you’re a bit nervous about cooking sugar and cream at high heats, I think a traditional cream cheese frosting would pair really well as well. If I can give you one word of advice: leave plenty of time for this cake, it’s definitely not something you can whip up in an hour. You can find the recipe HERE

Stephanie Shin

U Alberta '22

Stephanie Shin (she/her) is a third year honours pre-law student, majoring in sociology and minoring in political science. When she's not studying fervently, you can find her enjoying a book, sipping at a cup of tea, playing with her miniature dachshund, Bentley, and spending entirely too much money on food.
Simi is a senior at the University of Alberta studying Sociology and Religious Studies. She grew up in Houston Texas and lives by the saying “go big or go home”. She is currently Her Campus Ualberta's Editor in Chief and Campus Correspondent. School, volunteering, clubs, and work occupy most of her time. You can find her on Instagram at @simi.bhangoo.