This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Alberta chapter.

I have always been an avid reader. When I was younger, I’d go to the library and take out the maximum number of books, spend a week reading all of them, then ask my mum to drive me back so I could repeat the cycle. Getting lost in a book has never been difficult for me and the worlds came to life as I read the pages. Becoming tremendously absorbed in novels has lead to laughter, tears and revelations as I developed one-sided bonds with the characters. 

Discussing my experiences with books with my friends can lead to long conversations and additions to my wishlist. I’ve even considered starting a small book club (maybe I will, stay tuned). I decided it was time to start my own small series of articles dedicated to books so welcome to the first one!

While I no longer frequent libraries, my personal collection continues to grow. Commitments to school, the consistent need to buy a book when I go into a bookstore, and the bestowment of novels by family and friends has resulted in a large pile of unread books. I’ve made it a small goal to get through them before buying or asking for any new ones. It might seem easy enough but my book wishlist is an extremely long one that I want to assemble as quickly as I can. While my unread pile consists of more than five books, I do know that these are the ones I’ll reach for next.

1. Untamed by Glennon Doyle

Everyone has been talking about this book for months and I quickly added it to my wishlist. I finally got my hands on it when one of my friends gifted it to me for Christmas. The book is a memoir in which Glennon Doyle goes through a journey of self-discovery as a mother and a woman. It has inspired readers to be open and honest with themselves and their feelings. Maybe my description will do it better justice once I’ve read it but needless to say, I am eager to start digging into it.

Full description: Untamed by Glennon Doyle

2. Normal People by Sally Rooney

This is another book that joined my wishlist (along with Sally Rooney’s Conversation with Friends) and then my bookshelf when I received it for Christmas from a friend. It follows the relationship between two characters as they experience the complexities of life. There is currently a TV adaptation of this novel and it’s become quite popular. I prefer to read the book before I see it brought to life on the screen so I’m glad that I’ll be able to do both right away!

Full description: Normal People by Sally Rooney

3. Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng

I’m late to the game with this one and I have to admit that I bought it a year ago. Honestly, I can’t tell you why I didn’t get around to reading it but I can definitely say that I have been eyeing it lately. The quietness of Elena Richardson’s peaceful suburb is threatened when Mia Warren and her mysterious past move in. The anticipation that unfolds from the drama will make this book hard to put down. The TV adaptation starring Kerry Washington and Reese Witherspoon is further encouragement to read it. 

Full description: Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng

4. Into the Water by Paula Hawkins

This book has been sitting on my shelf for quite some time. I haven’t been in the mood for a thriller lately, I’ve been too busy sobbing over World War II era books, but I think I’m ready for this kind of anticipation! The book uncovers secrets around the deaths of women lost to the depths of the town river. Knowing Paula Hawkins’ The Girl on the Train (also on my wishlist) was a major success, I have no doubt that the suspense in this novel will maintain my attention. 

Full description:  Into the Water by Paula Hawkins

5. Bad Feminist by Roxanne Gay

One of my friends gave this to me for my birthday last year and I’m surprised that I never came across it before. I’m always happy to read books recommended to me by other people and based on the description, I’m certain I’ll enjoy it! This series of essays, written by Roxanne Gay, showcases her journey as a woman of colour and discusses the standards of feminism that exist. I was immediately drawn by the essay titles and I anticipate an insightful read. 

Full description: Bad Feminist by Roxanne Gay

Robin is a senior student at the University of Alberta in Edmonton, Alberta. She is getting a Science Degree, with a Psychology major and a double minor in Sociology & Biology. Part-time jobs, full-time classes, various student groups and volunteering fill most of her time. Robin is the 2020/2021 President of Her Campus at UAlberta and served as the social media director for the 2018/2019 year!