stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

The Importance & Simplicity Of Self Care

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Alberta chapter.

From my experience with post secondary so far, saying ‘self care is important’ is an understatement. Even on the smallest scale, some sort of self care gesture is an absolute necessity for me to survive a long and busy week at school. I think every student should practice self care too, so that they can continue to perform to the best of their abilities without experiencing burnout. Studying or working for long periods of time without taking any break is not healthy and can become detrimental to a person’s well being overall…(trust me, been there done that). It is important to remember to put yourself first and do things that you enjoy in the middle of your crazy life. This doesn’t mean you have to drop out of school and take a 5 month vacation to the Bahamas to feel good! It’s the simple and sometimes small things to keep in mind because they can add up and make a huge impact. That being said, here are some little things I enjoy doing for myself that you can try too! 

Exercise as an Extrovert (even if you are an introvert at heart like me)

Going to uni can be lonely sometimes! In between study sessions be sure to schedule in an hour or two at the gym with a girlfriend or buddy so both of you can motivate each other to reach your body goals! When you stay physically active during the school year I promise you will thank yourself because you will be able to grasp things in class more clearly and it will energize you…so as a result boost your productivity! If you don’t know where to start, try joining a spin class to meet new people, it’s seriously amazing! 

Make a Party Playlist 

I like to explore and discover new music on Spotify, then download it to my device to create a playlist. This process can be super fun if you dance along while it downloads! Get up on your feet and pretend like you are in a music video…(don’t forget to lip sync into your hairbrush or water bottle). It’s also super rewarding because if you have a long commute to campus like I do, you’ll be prepared to listen to fresh music the rest of the week! Music is therapeutic in many ways and can change the way you feel about yourself..so listen to something that makes you confident and happy! 

Take a Shower…But Not Just Any Shower

On Sundays I go alll out. I like to make a coffee scrub for my body, wash my hair, and put a face mask on. I also like to use exfoliating gloves and wax so I feel extra clean. To top it all off, I paint my nails so I can stare at my pretty hands when I type out my notes during the rest of the day (it makes it 10x more exciting). I try to get this routine done in the morning so that I can give my hair and nails time to air dry. I swear, when you take time to take care of your outer appearance like this, you will feel like a whole new gal. 

Hustle with Hydration Hun

Drink water. That’s it! It’s so simple yet so many of us forget about it. What I like to do to remind myself is draw however many empty glasses in my agenda then colour them in with a highlighter each time I drink water. This works for me because I’m a very visual learner so seeing the glasses “full” throughout the day makes me feel way more accomplished than if I just drank the water and didn’t document it. Try it out and let me know if it works for you as well! 

and last but not least… 

Sleep in Silence 

We live in a world today that is constantly connected to technology, and that’s wonderful! However when it’s time to go to bed I suggest logging out of all your social media apps and putting your phone across your room where you can not reach it so you can actually get a goodnight sleep with no distractions. Sleeping is super important for your mental health and it can make or break your day depending on the quality and how many hours you get each night. I started doing this little habit last year and it has changed me for the better. I replace my phone before bed with meditation and tea, and I feel way less anxious than before. It also forces me to wake up right away because I have to get up to turn off my morning alarm! 

So there you have it! These are some of the things I introduced to myself as self care gestures and have now shared with you in the hope that it has sparked some ideas and inspired you to think more about your own well being as a student. Just remember that self care is whatever makes YOU feel good and that can be anything you want it to be! Thanks for reading and have a lovely week! xo