This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Alberta chapter.

Mandatory online classes were definitely not something I expected to experience in my university lifetime. I’ve done online classes in the past but they were designed for that purpose. This new way of learning is an adjustment for everyone but it’s not totally impossible. Drawing from my previous online classes and my first week back, I’ve found some ways that will help me get through this interesting semester. I hope that they’ll help you too and make the transition smoother!

Develop a routine

An important part of this new lifestyle is developing a new routine specific to the demands of the semester. Create a routine that is realistic for you so that you can be consistent with it but also be reasonable with yourself. Use a digital calendar or a notebook to document your routine so that it’s visible and accessible, it can also help keep you accountable. I’m a big fan of Google Calendar, I enjoy being able to quickly add things to my calendar and keep them organized. Make sure you’re balancing out your life with this routine. Don’t fill your entire day with academics- dedicate time each day to yourself. 

Set a sleep schedule

Sleep can take you a long way especially when adjusting to stressful changes. Get enough sleep by setting and sticking to a sleep schedule. Go to bed early and make sure you avoid screen time before you sleep. Devote some time before bed to read or journal, maybe even do some meditation or light yoga. This will help you fall asleep better with a clearer mind. When choosing what time to wake up, try to get between 7-9 hours of sleep and wake up at the same time every day. This will help your body get into a rhythm and will make waking up early so much easier in the long run. 

Get dressed

Working from home, you might think being cozy in loungewear is the best way to go. If you’re like me, that isn’t the case. The moment I put on sweats and a comfy hoodie, there’s pretty much a guarantee that nothing will get done. Instead, get dressed as if you were going out to class but make sure you’re still comfortable. You don’t need to get fancy, you can skip the jeans and go for simple flowy pants. The key is to get out of your pajamas and loungewear into something you can associate with physically being in school. It’ll help keep you motivated and less tempted to crawl back into bed.

Attend class

Some classes are being delivered synchronously (a live lecture at the same time it would normally be) and some are asynchronous (work at your own pace). Whichever method your classes are being delivered in, go to them. The live lectures are easier because you have an allotted time and a group of people to meet. This will go a long way because you’ll be able to hear what needs to be learned and ask any questions as soon as they come to mind. If your class isn’t live, dedicate the time it should’ve been to working on that coursework. It’ll help you feel like you’re going to class and will lessen the workload in the future, also decreasing stress. 

Create regular meetings 

If you have a friend in the same class as you, set up a regular time to virtually go over the course content. You’ll have the opportunity to ask questions and it’ll help you stay on track. Meeting weekly helps review things that are fresh in your mind but this regularity might not work for everyone so do what’s best for you. If given the chance, take time to meet with your profs and TAs. They know the course content best and will be able to answer questions you and your friends might’ve struggled with. If you don’t have any classes with your friends, you can still set up a regular time for virtual study dates, just another reason to see them!

Use available resources

Many universities are offering additional resources in this unique time. If they’re available to you and at a cost you can afford, definitely take some time to look into them and try them out! Workshops aimed specifically at becoming familiar and successful with remote learning will be extremely beneficial to you. If you have the time, try to attend at least one workshop. You can also look into resources that might help with your specific classes like free tutoring or group help sessions. Additionally, look into resources that focus on wellness. It’s a new and extra stressful time so don’t hesitate to reach out. It never hurts to get some extra help and you might learn something new!

Take care of your mind, body, and soul

The most important thing is to make sure that you’re taking care of yourself throughout all of this. It can be easy to get swept up in the mindset of “I don’t have time,” especially with all of these changes and the pressures that come with university. Start and end your day with things you enjoy and take time to be mindful of how you’re feeling. I like to start and end my day with prayer, journaling, and yoga or meditation. These things help me acknowledge how I’m feeling and what motivations I want to set for the day. Throughout the day, stay active by taking a quick walk, doing some stretches, or a full workout. It’ll be important to keep your body moving and your blood flowing especially when you’re sitting in a chair for most of the day. Take time to do things that feed your soul, whatever they may be for you personally, and make sure you’re enough of them. Remember that you are doing the best you can and that you deserve to treat yourself with compassion. Take a deep breath and know that you’ve got this!

Simi is a senior at the University of Alberta studying Sociology and Religious Studies. She grew up in Houston Texas and lives by the saying “go big or go home”. She is currently Her Campus Ualberta's Editor in Chief and Campus Correspondent. School, volunteering, clubs, and work occupy most of her time. You can find her on Instagram at @simi.bhangoo.