This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Alberta chapter.

With Christmas just around the corner and the feeling of warmth, family, and sipping hot chocolate around the fire is in the heart of millions. But for a few of us we find ourselves saying “Bah Humbug” until the night before Holiday festivities.

Or we find ourselves growing green hair and hiding away to avoid festivities.

Here are some tips and tricks for you Scrooges and Grinches of the world to get into the holiday Spirit!

Holiday Movie Marathon

For a cheap option to get into the Holiday mood, pull up the Netflix or turn the channel to Lifetime. Enjoy the simple movies about jolly Mr. Santa Claus, Frosty the Snowman, and everyone’s favourite reindeer Rudolph, or the TV movies that Lifetime has to offer, that through the bad acting you somehow feel a sense of the holiday spirit.

Skating

If staying inside is getting to be too boring, look into all the outdoor activities you can do. Finding a cute pond to lace up with friends is always a great way to start.

Sledding

But if you find yourself falling over like Bambi, then try sledding. The rush of sliding down a big hill is so invigorating. Not to mention the exercise you’ll get from getting back to the top of the hill.

Local Events

If the physical activity is affecting your winter bod, then maybe looking into the cute events held locally can help get you into festive mood. The Ice Palace, the Nutcracker Ballet, and crafting events are some fun ways to get into the Christmas mood. Don’t be afraid to go into Facebook events to see what local holiday events are going on.

Spending Time With Family

The rush of finals filling your time. Finding time to sit and spend time with your family between study breaks will help you find some warm holiday spirit.

Baking

Looking to get the perfect winter bod? Finding time to bake all your favourite seasonal delights will help find some festive spirit. Deciding whether or not you are wanting to eat the head or legs of a gingerbread man can add to some holiday fun.

Getting into the holiday spirit may feel like an impossible task if you are not feeling the mood. But with these little tips you may find yourself singing “Fa-la-la-la-la” faster than you know.

GIFs courtesy of GIPHY

Kalie Tulan

U Alberta '21

I am currently getting a double major in Linguistics and Drama. I enjoy pushing myself in new creative ways, I find Her Campus pushes me to be more creative everyday.
Breanne D

U Alberta '19

Co-founder and proud alumna of Her Campus at UAlberta.