bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

Essential Oils – What They Are and How They Help

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Alberta chapter.

Have you ever wondered if essential oils work or if they were just a big hoax? If they are a money scam or a cheaper alternative to traditional medicine that helps simple things like headaches or stomach aches. Essential oils can be used aromatically, internally or topically depending on the oil or blend. They evoke memories, freshen the air and invite a welcoming environment. Essential oils can create either an invigorating and uplifting scents or a calming scent. 

Below is a list of some of my and my friends favourite essential oils from a few different brands and a little explanation of how they help and how much they cost! Some are a little on the pricier side, but keep in mind they last quite a while, my first bottle of Serenity lasted me 7 months (and probably would’ve lasted longer if I didn’t use it everyday). So, while they are a little bit of cash, they aren’t something that you will have to buy regularly. 

dōTERRA

Balance

Balance is an airy, woody, sweet and fresh scent. “It is a subtle combination of essential oils that promotes harmony, tranquility and a sense of relaxation through its grounding peaceful fragrance.” (dōTERRA website). It can be used to create a grounding, calming or peaceful aroma depending on where on the body it is placed. To create the grounding fragrance, place on the bottoms of your feet. To create a peaceful aroma, place it on the back of your neck and your wrists. It can also be diffused to create a calm environment when practicing yoga!

Retail: $36.00 (15mL)

Serenity

Serenity is my all-time favourite oil from dōTERRA. Its warm, floral and herbal in scent. It is in my diffuser 24/7, especially when I’m feeling stressed and need a little help to fall asleep. It has “a calming and relaxing aroma that provides a unique user experience. This perfectly balanced, tranquil blend can be felt immediately, transporting the user to a state of blissful repose.” (dōTERRA website). I recommend this oil to anyone who wants a relaxing calm but isn’t a fan of lavender. 

Retail: $42.67 (15ml)

Peace

Peace is classified as spicy, warm and rich. “it is a blend of floral and mint essential oils is a positive reminder that you don’t have to be perfect to find peace. Slow down, take a deep breath and reconnect with the composed and collected you.” (dōTERRA website). This one is a personal favourite of mine. It comes in a roller ball or in a 5mL or 15mL bottle. Its great for if you are feeling super anxious and need a little extra help to calm down. 

Retail: $34.33 (rollerball)

Eucalyptus 

This oil is ideal to promote feelings of clear breathing and open airways to create a soothing massage experience. This oil has purifying properties that are beneficial for cleansing surfaces, the air, as well as helping the skin. Its main goal is to help with relaxation and feelings of clear breathing. 

Retail: $22.67 (15mL)

Saje

Tranquility

this oil is a blend roman chamomile, ylang ylang, marjoram, orange and lavender. It helps to create an oasis and restful thoughts. It is best for before bed or if you need some downtime. Another one of my personal favourites, that can also be found in my diffuser all the time. 

Retail: $18.95 (10mL)

Liquid Sunshine

This oil is a blend of grapefruit, bergamot, lime, orange and mandarin. The goal of this oil is to fill you room with cheery radiance and uplifting spirits. The citrus notes allow for a feeling of fresh spring mornings to mind

Retail: $16.95 (10mL)

Young Living 

Peppermint

Peppermint is a familiar scent, however, it does so much more than create a fresh and nostalgic aroma. It can be diffused to create a focused and stimulating atmosphere, or it can be used topically to create a soothing sensation after hard physical activity. 

Retail: $36.51 (15mL)

Lavender

Lavender is probably the most common essential oil on the market and the perfect one for people just getting started with essential oils. It is a versatile oil that can be used in skincare, beauty routines, and relaxing routines. This oil is classic and a must for every home.

Retail: $40.13 (15mL) 

Lemon

Lemon is an instant pick-me-up with its fresh scent. It has a clean, invigorating, and energizing aroma. It can be used to create a more focused environment while being diffused, in skin care products it can help reduce signs of aging, can help with colds and coughs, and lastly it can be used in household cleaners to keep your home smelling fresh!

Retail: $19.08 (15mL)

One last thing to remember is that the prices reflect the quality of the oil. The higher the price the better the quality oil. Blends are also more expensive than single oils as they contain more oils and scents. The oils will be more expensive if they are more concentrated. 

Article by: Sophie Hurst

Sophie Hurst

U Alberta '22

Hi! My name is Sophie and I am in my third year of my History and Classics Degree. In my spare time I am most likely watching Netflix, reading or studying.
Simi is a senior at the University of Alberta studying Sociology and Religious Studies. She grew up in Houston Texas and lives by the saying “go big or go home”. She is currently Her Campus Ualberta's Editor in Chief and Campus Correspondent. School, volunteering, clubs, and work occupy most of her time. You can find her on Instagram at @simi.bhangoo.