This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Alberta chapter.

I am an avid reader and anytime that I am not busy with school or day to day activities you can most likely find me off in a corner curled up with a good book. I am specifically a huge fan of YA novels as I find they serve as the perfect distraction to pull me away from the stresses of everyday life. I’ve decided to accumulate some of my all time favorite books that I definitely recommend checking out if you are in the need for a new good read. 

The Illuminae Series by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff

These books have, by far, one of the most unique styles I have ever read. The layout of the book itself is different from the traditional book, each page is filled with different images and drawings and the physical “story” takes place through texting communication. If you aren’t a big reader I highly recommend checking out this book as I find it keeps you much more engaged and doesn’t feel like reading. 

One of Us Is Next by Karen McManus

To be honest any book by Karen McManus is a must read for me, but One Of Us Is Next is high up on my favourites list. This book serves as the sequel to One of Us Is Lying and if you are a huge fan of mysteries then this book is the one for you. 

A Good Girl’s Guide to Murder by Holly Jackson

This was a recent read for me but I was instantly hooked and I’m already counting down the days until the sequel is released. This is another book that is in the mystery genre and it has so many twists and turns that kept me guessing until the very end.

Six of Crows Duology by Leigh Bardugo

If you are a huge fan of heist books and fantasy novels then this is the perfect book for you. This duology is by far one of my all time favorite books and has actually been made into a Netflix series which will be released mid-April which I will be eagerly binging the minute it’s dropped. 

Rieley Tomkinson

U Alberta '22

Rieley is a third year Elementary Education student at the University of Alberta. When she's not busy studying you can find her binging a new Netflix show, singing along to musicals, playing with her dog or curled up with a new book.
Robin is a senior student at the University of Alberta in Edmonton, Alberta. She is getting a Science Degree, with a Psychology major and a double minor in Sociology & Biology. Part-time jobs, full-time classes, various student groups and volunteering fill most of her time. Robin is the 2020/2021 President of Her Campus at UAlberta and served as the social media director for the 2018/2019 year!