Wellness

5 Tips to Help You Fall Asleep at Night

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Alberta chapter.

I like sleeping—a lot. I nap whenever I get the chance, and if I have the option to get some extra sleep in the morning (or all day), I always take it! I’ve been known to fall asleep anywhere, like cramped airplane seats, boats, and trains, just to name a few. While I’ve crowned myself the nap queen, I do have the occasional night when I can’t seem to fall asleep, no matter how tired I am.

Not being able to fall asleep when I’m exhausted is one of my least favorite things. Sometimes it feels like there’s absolutely nothing I can do other than lie there wide awake until morning comes. I’ve compiled a small list of things that have helped me fall asleep in the past, and I hope that they’ll help you too! Everyone deserves a good night’s sleep!

1. Put away your electronics

Turning off your electronics can be the hardest step in your nighttime routine, especially if you’re a student studying on your laptop right until you sleep. Do your best to stop using your electronics an hour or so before you plan on sleeping. Keep your phone away from your bed, so you’re not tempted to scroll through it when you should be sleeping (it happens to the best of us!).

2. Get comfy cozy

This is definitely a no brainer, but being cozy makes such a difference. I fall asleep much easier when I’m in my comfiest pj’s, not too warm, and with the curtains open, so I have a little bit of light peeking through. Having my curtains open also means the sun shines through in the morning, the best way to wake up!

3. Try taking some melatonin

Now, I haven’t personally tried this, but I have friends who say that it’s helped them a lot. I learned about it in my psychology class, and while it won’t knock you out, it does promote a drowsy feeling that’ll help ease you into sleep. As far as I know, you can buy this in any drugstore.

4. Use a bedtime music app

Sometimes silence doesn’t help me sleep, so it’s helpful having a bit of calming music on in the background. I found the Calm app a couple of years ago, and I’ve been using it ever since. You can choose from a series of musical sounds or create your own. I made my own music that’s the perfect mix of ocean sounds and gentle wind chimes. It helps a ton!

5. Take a deep breath

Sometimes our inability to fall asleep at night stems from non-stop thinking. Thinking about how the day went, thinking about what we have to do the next day, or even thinking about random facts. Internal monologue can be draining if you have it. When it gets to be too much, and it keeps me from sleeping, I try to take a couple of deep breaths to ease my mind. Focusing on my breathing distracts my mind and lulls me to sleep.

Of course, I’m no sleep expert, but I hope that these small tips will help you out! If falling asleep is something you struggle with, I’d definitely suggest talking to your doctor. It never hurts to reach out for help!

Simi is a senior at the University of Alberta studying Sociology and Religious Studies. She grew up in Houston Texas and lives by the saying “go big or go home”. She is currently Her Campus Ualberta's Editor in Chief and Campus Correspondent. School, volunteering, clubs, and work occupy most of her time. You can find her on Instagram at @simi.bhangoo.