This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TX State chapter.

The air has turned frigid, the sun is setting at 5:30 p.m., and you can now visit any local coffee shop and expect a grand sign that states “now serving pumpkin spice X, Y, Z.” November has begun and although we are more than capable of keeping our physical bodies bundled and protected from the extremities that come with this time of year, there are much greater necessary steps we students must take in order to prevent ourselves from slipping into the dismal abyss of final season. 

Finally, as classes typically start in the beginning of December, and the days slowly approach, the endurance that all students alike have built towards whatever school semester proceeds a long break slips away, and the struggle to stay mentally active becomes extremely difficult; However, there are many great tips one can implement in their lives to help them stay focused through winters haze, and effectively make it through final season.

Tip One: Sleep

Sleep is an essential asset for all aspects of life. As the average student approaches final exam season, it is typical for many nights to be spent studying for the next day’s test, rather than getting the sleep needed to stay awake long enough to finish an exam. The recommended seven to nine hours will be more beneficial to you than cramming in last minute information. All elements of your health will be grateful for it.  

Tip Two: Prioritize

It is so easy to get swept away in last minute plans made by the gals, especially when there are certain scholarly tasks that you have been procrastinating on. But don’t let one night’s rendezvous or, in my case, several hours of TikTok-in-bed-time sway you away from what you know you need to do. Being prepared is one of the best acts of self care one can practice. By staying prepared for whatever assignment is going to come knocking on your door, you and your mental health will be far from the worry that comes with soon due assignments.

Tip Three: Have a decent diet

Personally, I like to rip and tear into In-N-Out way more than a person probably should, so before I get dogged on, I understand that having a good diet is difficult, especially for those who are full time students. But in the long run, there are little to no life related obstacles that are worth skipping a nutritious meal for. Food is fuel, and with several finals to take head on in one week, you’re going to need it.

Tip Four: Meditation

Breathing and being mindful is kinda crazy, especially with the fact that just five  to 10 minutes a day can completely relax one’s body and help with stress and anxiety. Clear your mind, find some inner peace (because Lord knows you haven’t had inner peace since the semester started), and find it within your aligned chakras to ace your classes.

Tip Five: Enjoy Yourself

As the hustle and bustle of this season swirls around you, don’t forget to stop and breathe. There is too much to appreciate in life to let something so minor change how you view the world. When times do get hard, and trust that they will, you are more than allowed to take a break. If you have been hunched over your notes and burning through the first layer of your retinas by staring at your bright computer screen, grant yourself the rest you deserve. Maybe go on a walk, read your favorite book, drink some hot chocolate while gushing to your roommate about just how good looking Tom Blyth looks in The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes. I know I mentioned earlier to prioritize, but balance is key to keeping yourself in harmony! 

Please, my lovely scholars, don’t let the semester take its toll on you. You have all come too far to let a measly biology class take you down now. 

London Petty

TX State '25

âś© London Petty is a Texas State University student with a major of communication studies and a minor in journalism. âś© In her free time, she enjoys reading a wide variety of novels, going on hikes, and spending time with her friends.