Mardi Gras Lessons From a Sophomore, to Freshmen

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

Mardi Gras is coming up, and so many freshmen out there don’t know what to expect. As someone with one Mardi Gras under my belt, I want to offer some expertise regarding what to expect, and how to make sure your attitude helps you have fun.

1. You will not eat regular meals. Boot Pizza is breakfast, Cheerios are dinner, and Rally’s is every other time you’re hungry on the parade route. Half of the battle with this eating pattern is mental preparation, so take it from me and start steeling your stomach now. That being said, it WILL be to your greatest advantage to stock your dorm room fridge and cabinets with quick, easy things to make like frozen veggie burgers, microwave mac and cheese, ramen, and protein bars. Eating a good meal before you head out for the day is crucial, and you won’t have the energy to put in more effort than pressing a few buttons on the microwave.
  2. Make it to the parades. Yes, the block darties on campus are fun, and you probably won’t make it to all of them (shoutout to Zulu and Rex on Tuesday morning after Tequila Sunrise!) Especially freshman year, nothing is as fun as the first beads you catch. The floats are incredible, the music is amazing, and the spirit of the holiday is closest to the actual thing. Just bring your own toilet paper for the porta-potties along the parade route!
  3. Know your limits. Nothing is worse than waking up Monday morning too sick to continue on. As we like to say, “It’s a marathon, not a sprint” and the easiest way not to have a good time is to go too hard too early on. It’s not like any other weekend party where you have time to recuperate and rest before you start again, and so pacing yourself is one of the most valuable lessons of having a good Mardi Gras. Yes, this includes staying awake through all of Tequila Sunrise, mostly as a point of pride. Nothing feels better than watching the sun rise with your friends and knowing you survived, and thrived at, your first Mardi Gras.
  4. Stay together! Make sure you always have people you know close by, especially when off campus. The key to being safe is to make sure you have at least one friend with you in case anything happens, and if you find yourself separated, the best thing to do is find other people you know. Luckily, Tulane kids tend to clump together, so even if the friends you came with disperse without you realizing, tag along with other people you know.
  5. Go with the flow. Despite your best efforts, things will happen that don’t go according to “plan”. The easiest way to have fun over Mardi Gras is to live in the moment and enjoy the experience. Stress goes against the spirit of the holiday! Take advantage of the break, forget about your responsibilities, and let the good times roll. 

It’s almost the most wonderful time of the year, so grab your gold leggings and get ready to hit the parade route! Hopefully this list helps any nervous freshmen who are unsure what to expect from their first Mardi Gras. If I survived, so can you.

Her Campus Tulane