This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

No one is entirely content with themselves, we all desire for something in our appearance to be different. Girls will always talk about wanting to have different color eyes, hair, to be thinner or more toned; it is in our nature to always want more. However, once you learn to look at your imperfections through a different perspective, you realize that its easier to accept them rather than try and change the unchangeable. 

Though it is much easier said than done, there are a few simple ways to begin to change your mindset. First, you have to realize that there is no point in bringing yourself down because the rest of the world can already do that for you. So, rather than critique the things you wish you could change about yourself, try and focus on the things that you like most about yourself. It doesn’t have to be anything big, it could be little things like how your hair or skin look that day, how you look wearing your favorite outfit, or even how you look when you smile.

Our thoughts are like a mirror, meaning that whatever we think of ourselves, others will think of us too. Because of this, we should try and think of ourselves as highly as possible, even with all of our flaws, in order to radiate confidence. 

We all know the basic ‘self-care’ routine. Take a warm bath, stay hydrated, go for a run, or even do a facemask. While yes, these things are important, self-care is much more about the thoughts that are coming from the inside than what others will get to see on the outside. 

Looking good does not necessarily entail always having your hair, nails, and makeup done or even always wearing your best outfit. The path towards being entirely content with yourself is different for everyone. While for some it might mean having to spend a little more time putting on clothes and make up, for others, it might mean hitting the gym a little more often or wearing less makeup. It’s okay to have insecurities, you just can’t let those same insecurities be the thing that defines you. Do whatever makes you feel confident and stay true to what makes you happy.

Tulane '23, Majoring in Communications & Sociology
Her Campus Tulane