This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

I am great at eating, but not so great at cooking. I enjoy cooking as an activity, but when it comes to mealtime, I never know what to make. While I have a kitchen in my off-campus house, I’m always too busy or too tired to go full-on Top Chef for dinner. While most of my meals come from Rimon or the Trader Joe’s frozen section, I’ve collected some of my favorite, simple recipes.

Cheesy Pasta

As a mac and cheese SAVANT I love to play around with making my own cheese sauce. First, boil pasta. Make sure you HEAVILY salt the water once it’s boiling, right before you put the dried pasta in. In a pan, mix together literally anything dairy-related. I like to use butter, milk, cream, and TONS of cheese. Normally I work with what I have… which typically consists of almond milk and shredded cheddar cheese. Add salt and pepper and pasta water if it’s getting too thick. You can also add peas or spinach. When the sauce is done, add in the pasta and enjoy!

Lox, Eggs, and Onions

Lox, eggs, and onions is my favorite breakfast item. Packed with protein, I like to make this before an exam. To prep, chop onions and cut lox into pieces. Next, crack two eggs and scramble with a fork in a bowl. I like to add a splash of milk, non-dairy milk, or cream to the raw eggs to make them creamy. Saute the onions in a pan with butter or oil. Once the onions are caramelized, add the eggs and chopped lox. Add pepper and move the eggs around in the pan until they’re cooked.

Sweet Breakfast Wrap

If you’re rushed for breakfast or just want a snack, make a wrap! Put peanut butter, sliced bananas/apples, and cereal or granola on a wrap. This also works well with nutella!

Soy Sauce Salmon

Cooking actual things like fish can be scary, but this recipe is genuinely so easy. Take a raw piece of salmon and rub it with soy sauce, garlic powder, and ginger powder. Wrap it in tin foil and bake at like 350 until cooked. This might take about 20 minutes, depending on how cooked you want it to be. You can ~garnish~ with chopped scallions and more soy sauce!

Microwaved roll with butter

Literally just microwave a yummy roll with butter on it for like 30 seconds. So good.

Hopefully this list of recipes inspires your next easy college meal. Even something as simple as toast can make you feel good because you made it yourself!

Hi, I'm Taylor, and I'm a freshman at Tulane! I'm from Long Island, NY and I love fashion, food, and music.
Her Campus Tulane