Life > Academics

Ease Anxiety About Your Future: A Guide to Tulane’s Career Services

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

If you find yourself feeling lost, confused, or worried about your next steps in life, you are not alone. You may squirm at the, “So that’s your major?” or “What do you plan to do with that?” questions. You may wince at the thought of that moment after graduation when you look at yourself and say, “Okay, what now?” It’s scary to enter college as a teenager and feel pressure to be an adult in just four years’ time. I, too, have struggled throughout college to feel secure about my choices as a student and future professional. Luckily, Tulane anticipates this anxiety and offers support for any and all worries. I have found that the best place to start is the Newcomb-Tulane College Career Services website. 

For the student who is struggling to decide on a major: 

If you find yourself choosing between two or even multiple major options, a good place to start is the “Explore” section of the Career Services website. The “What Can I Do With This Major?” tab provides a list of every major at Tulane and lists potential career areas, employers, internships, alumni, and even sample resumes. With this information, each major becomes more tangible and you can understand the path that it will set you on. 

Additionally, consider making a “Major/Career Exploration” appointment with a career advisor through the website. 

For the soul-searching student: 

If you would like to know more about yourself and how you hope to contribute to the workforce, I suggest looking at the “Self-Exploration” tab in the “Explore” section of the Career Services website. It provides students with prompts about interests, strengths, and beliefs. Additionally, there are links to free self-assessments, including the Skills Matcher Quiz, the Achieveworks Assessment for personality type, and the Work Values Matcher. If these quizzes are your jam, take it one step further and click on the link to O*Net under “Explore Occupations.” Here, you will find countless self and career-exploration quizzes. You have probably seen these types of tests in tv shows or movies and therefore have seen all the jokes about them. But take it from me, they really do help.

For the student who is wondering what field or industry to enter: 

If you know what you like to study and where you think you may be a good fit but are still wondering exactly what industry may be right for you, the “Explore” section of the website offers multiple resources. Firstly, you can find your major under “What Can I Do With This Major?” and find out exactly which jobs may be right for you. 

Additionally, O*Net is a website that allows students to search occupations and find in-depth details about the profession, including tasks, required skills, level of education, values, and much more. Additionally, if the profession seems to be getting warmer but is not quite right, O’Net provides a list of related occupations at the bottom of a search. 

Another resource to take advantage of is the “NTC Career Chat Series,” which hosts zoom meetings throughout the semester with experts in many fields and Career Services staff. Students can register for these Zooms through a Handshake account (see “For the student search for an internship” if you are unfamiliar with Handshake.) 

For the student searching for an internship: 

If you are looking to find internships and other job opportunities, your first step is to sign up for Handshake. This website is partnered with Tulane and acts as an online platform that connects college students with companies and employers. The specialized search feature allows you to enter keywords and filter results according to location, job type, pay, role, industry, major, and many more. In your search, you can bookmark opportunities that interest you and return to them later on. Moreover, some internships and jobs will allow you to fill out an application through the Handshake website. If you don’t find any that catch your attention, Linkedin is another great way to comb through possible jobs and internships. Plus creating connections and building one’s network is commonplace on this app and can aid you in current and future job hunts.

Additionally, on the Career Services website under “Student Career Guides,” one can find resources about beginning the internship search process. 

For the student who needs help during the internship application process: 

If you are in the process of applying for internships, specialized meetings with career advisors can help every step of the way. Career Services offers appointments for resume and cover letter help, interview strategy, practice interviews, and personal statement help. The appointments can be made at any time through handshake and can be done over zoom or in person. 

Furthermore, check out the “Student Career Guides” which provide online resources about writing resumes and cover letters as well as interview strategies. 

No matter what stage of planning for your future you are in, Career Services most likely has a way to offer support and resources. The options above are not exhaustive, so if your questions still feel unanswered consider exploring more areas of the Career Services website or booking a general appointment with a peer or career advisor.

Tulane University class of 2024