pang yuhao kd5cxwZOK4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
pang yuhao kd5cxwZOK4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

9 Regrets as a Tulane Senior

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

Looking back on my Tulane experience, so many things come to mind that I could have, should have and would have done if I had the chance to do it all again. Here’s a list of some of my regrets so other students don’t make the same mistakes I did. As they say, hindsight is 20/20!

1. Turning down fun opportunities 

New Orleans is such a fun place. It’s pretty much true here that saying yes to one thing means saying no to so many other fun things too. 

2. Not getting outside of the “Tulane Bubble” enough 

As a freshman, I promised myself I would never get stuck in the Tulane Bubble, that it was only for kids who had no interest in seeing New Orleans and just wanted to stay on campus all the time. Well, here I am as a senior, who loves New Orleans, but has undoubtedly spent the majority of her college experience on or around Tulane’s campus. Go and explore as much as you can! 

3. Not seeing more live music 

New Orleans, jazz. Need I say more? 

4. Going out when I should have stayed in

This sounds lame. But was going to The Boot for one Wednesday Happy Hour really worth getting a C instead of a B or an A on a test? Probably not. 

5. Being hard on myself for not joining a sorority 

It’s not a big deal, I promise. I am a very happy GDI (god-damn independent!) who hasn’t looked back on my decision since rush ended.

6. Not utilizing Tulane’s resources earlier 

The Success Center, Career Center, Reily, academic advising, office hours, Career Wave, Outreach Tulane… the list goes on. You’re paying for it, use it! 

7. Saying yes even though I wanted to say no 

In the moment, it seems like the world might end if you don’t have sex with him. But when he ghosts you, there’s no one else but you and regret. It’s not worth it–maintain your pride! 

8. Forgetting the real reason I’m at college 

Your parents probably tell you this all the time (mine do). You’re at college to do well in school and eventually find a job, not to party (even though we do go to one of America’s best party schools). 

9. Not doing enough community service

One of the best ways to get to know this city is to volunteer. My most special memories as a Tulane student are the ones when I was able to help and get to know the people of New Orleans. 

On a happier note, here are some things at Tulane I did and am so grateful for (and suggest you do too): 

1. Maintained my freshman year friends, including acquaintances 

2. Made sure every professor knew my name 

3. Got a part-time job 

4. Stopped forcing myself to major in something I hated 

5. Participated in extra-curriculars and eventually ran for a leadership position 

6. Went to information sessions about things I was even ~slightly~ interested in 

7. Stayed in New Orleans for fall break 

Psychology & English double major, lover of animals, movies, books and all things New Orleans.
Her Campus Tulane