5 Tips for Your Best New Year’s Resolutions Yet

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

If most of us had followed through on every New Year’s resolution we’d ever made we’d all be marathon-running, 6pack-rocking, French-speaking professional chefs with perfectly organized closets. However we tend to make lofty resolutions with a “New Year, new you” mentality and then forget about them as soon as the first week of classes rolls around.

New Year’s resolutions can either be a great way to start out the year on the right foot or a path to feeling like the least motivated person ever when your resolutions inevitably fall through.  So read on for 5 ways to make sure your 2015 resolutions beat the test of time and actually stick:

Keep it attainable

Most of us are busy enough as it is without feeling the pressure to learn a second language and cook gourmet meals every night in our dorm room. Start with baby steps to find attainable goals that you can actually stick to instead of daunting NYE resolutions that you’ll kick to the curb as soon as you have to conjugate your first Spanish verb. 

Think about why it matters

Try and make resolutions that are actually relevant to your future. Putting off finishing your LinkedIn profile? Need to start searching for a summer internship? These can be great goals that will help you in the long-run instead of choosing something silly that will be irrelevant in a couple weeks.

Don’t spend a lot of money

There’s nothing like a brand new pair of running shoes staring at you as you sit on the couch watching SVU re-runs and eating Nutella to make you feel bad about yourself. Again, take baby steps and if you find out that training for a marathon is really something that you’re passionate about, then that’s the time to start online shopping for shoes worthy of an Olympic athlete.

Find a buddy

A friend can be the best motivator when it comes time to close your Netflix tab and actually do something productive with your day. Partner with a friend and chose a goal that you are both excited about meeting—nothing is too small! Even if it’s just to go to one Zumba class a week or going to office hours more often, a friend can help you put an end to your excuses and give you the push you need.

Be Realistic 

Remember that you want to challenge yourself, but you also don’t want to be left feeling like a massive failure when a lofty goal doesn’t work out. If you know that you’re never going to be able to give up soda completely (if this is you, trust me I sympathize—diet coke and I will never be able to fully give each other up) don’t pledge to quit cold turkey. Chose realistic and specific goals, like only drinking one soda a day, that you will be able to meet. 

Her Campus Tulane