The Worst Mistakes to Make At A New Job

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tufts chapter.

Starting a new job can be super stressful, with all the new information you have to take in, the new social environment you have to navigate, and the new co-workers you have to meet. There are certainly many opportunities for something to go wrong during the early days at a new job, but many of these mistakes can be easily avoided (or rectified). From my first two weeks as a Marketing Assistant at Boston’s Argopoint LLC, I have picked up on a few habits every Collegiette should try to avoid during her first few weeks working at a new job.

[pagebreak]

1.     Being late. This pretty much goes without saying, but I cannot emphasize it enough! Do not only be on time, be early both to work and to meetings. You do not want to be that person everyone is waiting for to begin. Any excuse is a bad excuse, and will make you look irresponsible. Common excuses like bad weather, public transportation, and untimely calls from grandparents can all be prevented from making you late by adding a little extra cushion time into your pre-work routine. Whether this means making hitting the Snooze button a non-option, or packing your lunch the night before, figure out what works best for you and make it a habit.

2.     Acting entitled. No one should act like she is too good for her job, but especially not an intern or a new hire! Your co-workers have put in a lot more time and effort than you have to date, so — as smart as you may be — they know the business better than you do. They were also probably once in your position. So don’t get ahead of yourself and act snooty when you are given menial assignments. Your early days at a new job are all about learning, and once you master the basic tasks of your trade, you will hopefully be given more challenging and intellectually stimulating work. An inflated superiority complex will neither impress your boss, nor make your new co-workers like you.

3.     Asking too many questions. Asking questions is definitely a good habit to get into, but only to a certain point. Employers appreciate curiosity and a desire to learn, but you do not want to be perceived as someone who is not capable of independent learning, or as someone who needs constant attention. Show some initiative and attempt to accomplish tasks without being asked, or try to solve a dilemma by yourself before asking your supervisor for help. Don’t hold back if you have questions about your company, the overall industry, or your co-workers’ experiences on the job.

[pagebreak]

4.     Talking only to other interns or new hires. You want to integrate yourself into the company, and to develop long-lasting relationships with the establishment for which you are working. You will not accomplish this by conversing with other interns (who are probably only temporary team members) or new hires (who are… well… new). Get to know more senior members of the company and employees who have been working there for a number of years. This will increase the amount you learn, build your reputation as an assertive employee, and may even help you get you that recommendation or reference you might need further down the road.

5.     Being informal. You should not interact with your colleagues at work the same way you interact with your peers at Tufts. Keep it professional. This means that slang, profanity, and crude humor are all off-limits. If you are even debating if something may be inappropriate, don’t say it! Save it for when you get back to campus.

6.     Not dressing appropriately. Learn your company’s or office’s dress code, and learn it fast. It is always better to be overdressed than to be underdressed, so wear a more formal outfit on your first day. You should observe what other employees in the office are wearing, read the company’s policies, and dress accordingly. Remember: no matter where you work, make sure that your skirts are an appropriate length, and that your shirts are not too low-cut.

[pagebreak]

7.     Not taking initiative or not being a self-starter. Do not sit around and wait for people to tell you to do something. While it is not technically mandatory for you to reach out for more work or begin new projects without being asked, it is almost always expected. You want to prove that you add value to the company, and that you are a responsible, hard-working employee.

8.     Being overly shy. Some of us are naturally a little bit timid, but you must remember that first impressions really do matter! You want to be perceived as being friendly, and as someone who people generally want to work with. In addition, acting shy may be misperceived as being standoffish, unhappy with your job, or arrogant. So even if you have to push yourself to do so, it is important to make a concerted effort to say “Good morning” to your co-workers, and to ask them how they are doing.

9.      Not seeing the bigger picture. It is important to learn about the company for which you are working, outside of your immediate role. The more you know about both the inner- and outer-workings of your company, the better you will be able to understand your own personal position, as well as where your company fits into the competitive landscape of its industry. This will be important information to understand both for future job searches and interviews, and to ensure that you are able to perform your job well.

10.    Being a slave to technology and social media. It may be acceptable to remain “plugged-in” at some jobs, but just to be safe, you should probably shut your cell phone off and take your ear buds out. As tempting as it may be, talking to your friends on Google Chat and looking through your Facebook photos at work are both big no-nos.

The most important thing is to remember to be yourself, and to learn as much as you can. And relax — with a little bit of effort, you will have no trouble avoiding these mistakes.

Images courtesy of: wellheeledblog.com, rodale.com, work.chron.com, therecruiterslounge.com, and nr.nlh1.com.

Simmone Seymour is a current student at Tufts University studying Political Science, Economics, and Communications. She is interested in films, fashion, art, design, marketing, advertising, PR, blogging, new trends and the DIY movement. She is now the Campus Correspondent for the Tufts University Chapter of Her Campus and blogs for the Beauty School Blog. She aspires to get involved in marketing and has worked at Kirkland & Ellis LLP, Hungry Fish Media, Jack Morton Worldwide, Argopoint LLP, the Tufts Daily, the HC headquarters as a Marketing & Sales Associate, and at Leo Burnett Worldwide.In her spare time (which is far and in between) she freelance writes for publications, maintains a blog, learns about graphic design and coding, and explores which ever city she may be in. Her idols are Chelsea handler, Sheryl Sandberg, and Marissa Meyer.Got something fashion or beauty-related you think is amazing? Contact Simmone at SimmoneSeymour@hercampus.com to discuss article inquiries.