Respect Tufts’ Dining Workers and Picket for the School to Do So as Well

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tufts chapter.

The last protest and Tufts’ first-ever picket is here. Tufts’ dining workers deserve to have security. They deserve to not face favoritism, continual job insecurity, and a lack of benefits. Many Tufts’ dining workers have spent decades serving our community for little more than minimum wage and without benefits.

This fight has gone on too long. Last spring, hundreds of students joined forces with Tufts Dining to march for an election to unionize. Yet, not much has changed.

Last November, the Tufts Dining Coalition organized a rally to fight against a lack of respect, workplace harassment, and unresponsive behavior by management. Yet, the stalemate in negotiations and the problems themselves continue to plague our community.

It is our job as Tufts students to support those who support us every day. From the moment we step on campus, Tufts’ dining workers are a warm, welcoming force that deserves the respect that the school refuses to give them.

It is important that as a Tufts student you are cognizant of the community around you. Tufts’ dining workers are a community that has supported you since your first day, and, in turn, they deserve your support.

Tuesday, March 5th, from 4:30 to 6:30pm, there will be a very important picket for the fair contract for Tufts Dining Workers outside of Carmichael Dining Hall. With the 8th month of negotiation comes even more urgency. Come out and support our dining workers as they fight for a well-deserved living wage and affordable healthcare.

Freshman student athlete at Tufts University