Marathon Runner: Lucy Fell

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tufts chapter.

Name: Lucy Fell

Year: Sophomore

Hometown: Bradford, England (same hometown as Zayn Malik #RIP1D) and Concord, MA

Major: Spanish and Community Health

What made you decide to run the Boston Marathon this year? Who or what is your inspiration?

Ever since I started going to watch the Boston Marathon as a little girl I’ve wanted to run – it’s an incredible event. After having knee surgery in high school, I told myself that if I could run a marathon, I could do anything! The marathoners I know, my dad and my close friend Maxine, inspired me to run a marathon, as well as my amazing training partner (Tufts senior), Erica Santos. I’ve always wanted to run for a charity, and this year I will be running on behalf of the American Liver Foundation.

Are you an avid runner or athlete? Did this play a role in your decision to run?

I am a huge soccer fan, and I also played lacrosse, basketball, and ran track in high school, so I’ve always used running to stay in shape.

Have you ever run in a marathon before? How did it go?

The only marathon I’ve ever completed was after I started watching Friday Night Lights – which went really well.

What is on your marathon day playlist?

If I ran with music it would probably be all Kesha at this point.

How did you train for the marathon?

I will be running as a charity runner for the American Liver Foundation. I’ve been training all year under the supervision of Coach Don Megerle and the Tufts Marathon Team.

Any tips for people looking to train for next year?

Don’t be afraid to fantasize about food during the entirety of your long runs; it’s the best motivation there is. Run with friends, and enjoy yourself!

What else are you involved with on the Tufts campus?

Tufts Women’s Club Soccer team, Tufts Literacy Corps (I work at an afterschool program in Somerville), Chi Omega, and I teach children’s piano lessons on the weekends.

Who are your role models?

My mom. Also Chad Kroger from Nickelback.

Guilty pleasure?

Moe’s, Helens, and the Commons.

If you were a drink, you would be…

S** on the Beach

Spirit animal?

Slow Loris

Fun fact/hidden talent?

I’m single!!!!

Describe yourself in three words:

Nervous, excited, hungry.

What is your dream job?

Ice Cream Flavor Inventor

Help Lucy reach her funraising goal for the marathon by donating here!