free to use sounds kOuCX7fh50U unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
free to use sounds kOuCX7fh50U unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How She Got There: Internship Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tufts chapter.

Check out what these three awesome Tufts students are doing for their own internships, and their advice for other students in the search process!

Betty Fong (Freshman): Asian American Legal Defense and Education Fund (AALDEF) Community Health Initiative Internship

1. How she found it:

• Their newsletter
  • Tufts Asian American Center
  • Upperclassmen friends

2. Application process:

• Choose an undergraduate internship role (i.e. community health initiative, education, voting rights, environmental rights, housing discrimination etc.)
  • Submit a resume and cover letter
  • Interview

3. Why it suits her:

• “I believe health is a human right, yet in the United States, there are so many disparities that are caused by a lacking and racist and patriarchal system.”
  • “It makes me mad when I find out that Chinatown community members—most middle-aged, low-income immigrants—don’t get the services they need for reasons like language barriers, transportation, lack of insurance, and affordability of services.”
  • “I don’t have the answers to these problems or the knowledge to change/fix the system, but I know this internship will help me learn about the system and potential solutions.”

4. What the organization does:

• Protects and promotes the civil rights of Asian Americans
  • Combines litigation, advocacy, and education to help Asian American communities across the country and to secure human rights for all

5. What she will be doing as an intern:

• Legal research
  • Community education
  • Outreach in the areas of immigration, government benefits, language rights, and health care access

6. Advice to others searching for internships:

• Follow your heart and do something that will make you happy and challenge you
  • Look into Tufts Entrepreneurial Society (TES) which helps people find internships and think of start-up ideas

Ryan Fleer (Sophomore): Department of Commerce Intern for the Enforcement and Compliance Sector in the Operations Unit

1. How he found it:

• Co-worker of his mom  

2. Application process:

• Submit resume
  • 3 interviews for 3 different sectors of the Department of Commerce
  • Interviews included questions-asking and an overview of what interns do over the summer

3. Why it suits him:

• “I feel limited to finance with my International Relations and double Economics majors so I’m using this internship as a way to see where else I could land with work.”

4. What the organization does:

• Makes American businesses more innovative at home and more competitive abroad

5. What he will be doing as an intern:

• Working on the preliminary decision of one investigation
  • Working on the final decision of a different investigation.
  • Working with data programming
  • Reading about companies and analyzing their issues

• Intern at a place where you like the people that work there
  • The people who you want to work with should be enthusiastic about their job and happy to have you

Alice Wasserman (Freshman): Boomrat Intern

1. How she found it:

• Family friend who just graduated from college starting has a new startup company and needs help

2. Application process:

• None, because the company is so new and has so few people working for it.

3. Why it suits her:

• Allows her to stay in her hometown, LA
  • Will provide a sense of how companies perform in the market

4. What the organization does:

• Serves as a web platform for finding dance music and is a community for dance music fans to share music
  • Similar to ‘Spotify’ but only for dance music

5. What she will be doing as an intern:

• Copy editing articles
  • Assisting the person who finds new stories to write about

• Put yourself out there
  • Try internships that might not fit your exact criteria because you might find something new you like

Photos courtesy of: community.mis.temple.edu, aaldef.org, cats.rpi.edu, webutations.org.

Edited by: Lauren Medwid