How She Got There: Internship Edition

Check out what these three awesome Tufts students are doing for their own internships, and their advice for other students in the search process!

Betty Fong (Freshman): Asian American Legal Defense and Education Fund (AALDEF) Community Health Initiative Internship

1. How she found it:

• Their newsletter
  • Tufts Asian American Center
  • Upperclassmen friends

2. Application process:

• Choose an undergraduate internship role (i.e. community health initiative, education, voting rights, environmental rights, housing discrimination etc.)
  • Submit a resume and cover letter
  • Interview

3. Why it suits her:

• “I believe health is a human right, yet in the United States, there are so many disparities that are caused by a lacking and racist and patriarchal system.”
  • “It makes me mad when I find out that Chinatown community members—most middle-aged, low-income immigrants—don’t get the services they need for reasons like language barriers, transportation, lack of insurance, and affordability of services.”
  • “I don’t have the answers to these problems or the knowledge to change/fix the system, but I know this internship will help me learn about the system and potential solutions.”

4. What the organization does:

• Protects and promotes the civil rights of Asian Americans
  • Combines litigation, advocacy, and education to help Asian American communities across the country and to secure human rights for all

5. What she will be doing as an intern:

• Legal research
  • Community education
  • Outreach in the areas of immigration, government benefits, language rights, and health care access

6. Advice to others searching for internships:

• Follow your heart and do something that will make you happy and challenge you
  • Look into Tufts Entrepreneurial Society (TES) which helps people find internships and think of start-up ideas

Ryan Fleer (Sophomore): Department of Commerce Intern for the Enforcement and Compliance Sector in the Operations Unit

1. How he found it:

• Co-worker of his mom  

2. Application process:

• Submit resume
  • 3 interviews for 3 different sectors of the Department of Commerce
  • Interviews included questions-asking and an overview of what interns do over the summer

3. Why it suits him:

• “I feel limited to finance with my International Relations and double Economics majors so I’m using this internship as a way to see where else I could land with work.”

4. What the organization does:

• Makes American businesses more innovative at home and more competitive abroad

5. What he will be doing as an intern:

• Working on the preliminary decision of one investigation
  • Working on the final decision of a different investigation.
  • Working with data programming
  • Reading about companies and analyzing their issues

• Intern at a place where you like the people that work there
  • The people who you want to work with should be enthusiastic about their job and happy to have you

Alice Wasserman (Freshman): Boomrat Intern

1. How she found it:

• Family friend who just graduated from college starting has a new startup company and needs help

2. Application process:

• None, because the company is so new and has so few people working for it.

3. Why it suits her:

• Allows her to stay in her hometown, LA
  • Will provide a sense of how companies perform in the market

4. What the organization does:

• Serves as a web platform for finding dance music and is a community for dance music fans to share music
  • Similar to ‘Spotify’ but only for dance music

5. What she will be doing as an intern:

• Copy editing articles
  • Assisting the person who finds new stories to write about

• Put yourself out there
  • Try internships that might not fit your exact criteria because you might find something new you like

Photos courtesy of: community.mis.temple.edu, aaldef.org, cats.rpi.edu, webutations.org.

Edited by: Lauren Medwid