This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tufts chapter.

Building Muscle, Burning Calories

We have all borne witness to the stereotypical segregation that takes place in the gym at Tufts (or any gym for that matter): more women occupy the cardio machines, while more men choose to strength train with weights. Women often fear weight training, assuming that lifting weights will lead to bulk and not weight loss. Although cardio fitness ensures the expenditure of calories and therefore leads to faster weight loss, strength training is equally, if not more, important to maintaining one’s physical health.  

The body consists of fat mass and non-fat mass (Harvard School of Public Health). Muscle is “metabolically active” where fat sits in the body, and requires calories to function on a daily basis (Harvard School of Public Health). As Personal trainer Mike Donavanik explained in Women’s Health Magazine, “for every three pounds of muscle you gain, you can expect to burn an extra 120 calories a day without moving a single one of those muscles” (Fetters). Cardio, on the other hand, works at diminishing the body’s fat stores, but does not lead to the continual expenditure of calories outside of the gym. However, it is not wise to neglect your cardio routine for strength training. Aerobic exercise reduces body weight, blood pressure, and the risk of developing cardiovascular disease (Myers). The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services suggests that optimum health can be achieved through at least 150 minutes of aerobic physical activity and two days of strength training a week. Strength training is especially valuable for college students as we continue to age into our twenties – as we grow older, our muscle mass decreases. The less muscle we have, the fewer calories we need to consume on a daily basis to maintain a healthy body weight (Harvard School of Public Health).

Unfortunately, consuming fewer calories is paradoxical to a college student’s lifestyle. If anything, we “need” the extra calories to power our late night study sessions and social outings. Despite what you may have previously thought, the walk to the Tower café does not burn as many calories as the muffin you are walking back to your table with. But before you blame the universe for your inevitable acquisition of a mom or dad bod, take a break from the treadmill and pick up some weights.

But remember that strength training can result in injury if not performed correctly. To ensure maximum results at the gym, consult a coach or friend that has knowledge about how to correctly use weights. And weight lifting is not the only way to strength train. In fact, body weight exercises like pushups and squats and other resistance exercises can reap the same benefits as bench presses, arm curls, and free weights. Sticking to workouts that are low in weight and high in reps can lead to the production of lean muscle mass, rather than bulking up. There are many websites and YouTube videos that effectively explain various exercises that can equip you with the knowledge you need to feel comfortable venturing into the weight room.

You may not see results right away or the flashy calorie count that appears on the cardio machine’s display, but don’t give up hope. Strength training is undeniably effective at shedding those last stubborn pounds and burning calories in the long-term.

And feel free to grab that late night snack at the Commons. Your late night muffin won’t turn into a muffin top.  You can thank your muscles for that.

Sources:

Fetters, Aleisha. “What’s Best for Weight Loss: Cardio Or Strength    Training?.” November 22,     2013. Web.

Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health. “Strength and Flexibility Training.” Web.

Myers, Jonathan. “Exercise and Cardiovascular Health.” Web.

Office of Disease Prevention and Health Promotion. Physical Activity                     Guidelines. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, 2008. Web.

Courtney is a junior at Tufts University where she is majoring in International Relations with a double minor in Communications & Media studies and Economics. She has previously worked for Santander Bank US as a Digital Marketing Analytics Intern as well as Jumpstart Knowledge Adventure where she focused on Social Media Content Creation.