This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tufts chapter.

Taking time out of your day to focus on yourself is incredibly important.  So often we prioritize school, jobs, internships, social obligations, extracurriculars, etc., and forget to prioritize ourselves.  Without giving ourselves some TLC every once in awhile our physical and mental health can suffer which can make us less productive anyway.  Taking a break from time to time can help you rejuvenate so that when you get back to your other priorities you are refreshed and ready to go.  Here are some ideas to get you started, and some don’t require spending a cent.  Remember not to feel guilty for a little self indulgence, you need it more than you think!

1. Go for a run

Taking even half an hour out of your daily schedule to go for a run can do wonders.  Exercise releases happy endorphins and it will help you clear your mind so that you can be more focused once you return to your other obligations.  Pick a playlist of some of your favorite songs and get going!

2. Read a book (that is not assigned!)

We are assigned so much reading throughout the academic year that it’s easy to forget how enjoyable reading can be.  Pick up something you’ve been dying to read for a while and give yourself some time to enjoy reading purely for the sake of reading.  Get lost in the story and the characters and give yourself a little escape from days filled in the basement of Tisch or Halligan.

3. Watch a show

Reward yourself with a little netflix and chill with yourself.  No need to worry about picking a show everyone agrees on, you can watch that stupid reality show without judgement, as long as it makes you happy.  Taking an hour to get lost in something that provides absolutely no value is okay! Let yourself indulge in this from time to time, it’ll give you something to look forward to when you’re slaving away on problem sets.

4. Give yourself a spa day

Try that face mask you’ve been saving, and light that candle haven’t found the right time to use.  Maybe paint your nails and do a hair mask, whatever makes you feel refreshed and pampered.

5. Try a workout class

Instead of heading to the gym as usual, splurge a little and treat yourself to a class.  Fun, upbeat music and positive encouragement from instructors are a great change of pace.  TSR  even offers classes starting at $5!

6. Meditate

There are so many apps that offer awesome meditation resources for free.  You could try practicing mindfulness, listen to a guided meditation, or listen to a soothing story.  It’s never a bad idea to recenter ourselves and hit pause in our busy days.

7. Try that pinterest DIY you’ve been thinking about

There are so many fun crafts out there but they seem to always get put off because other priorities take their place.  Take an hour or so to paint that canvas or make a photo collage or whatever it is that calls to you, as long as it takes your mind off stress and is enjoyable.

8. Take yourself out to dinner

Take yourself out to something yummy, not necessarily expensive, but a meal you wouldn’t normally eat.  Whether that’s a yummy crepe for breakfast instead of your usual eggs, or some chipotle instead of cooking, treat yourself (and your tummy) to something special.

Courtney is a junior at Tufts University where she is majoring in International Relations with a double minor in Communications & Media studies and Economics. She has previously worked for Santander Bank US as a Digital Marketing Analytics Intern as well as Jumpstart Knowledge Adventure where she focused on Social Media Content Creation.