8 Healthy Snack Ideas

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tufts chapter.

Did you step on the scale over Winter Break and have a minor freak-out when it told you that you’d gained a few pounds this past semester? We all try to eat “well” at school, but whether we’d like to acknowledge it or not, the mindless eating we all do while studying, hanging out with friends, or winding down after a night out really can add up. Making a New Year’s Resolution to change your eating habits is easy, but actually carrying through? That can be tough. (Especially with a those lovely Tufts ID cards that enable us to swipe ourselves into a food frenzy!). Rather than focusing on the number, it can be easier — and more productive — to focus on how healthy your food habits are. Here are eight good-tasting-while-good-for-you suggestions that every Collegiette can easily substitute in to take the place of less healthy snacks:

1.      Edamame Beans

The good news? They have these a lot in Dewick., so bring a Tupperware container and stock up! The even better news? Edamame beans are full of fiber, vegetable protein, healthy Omega-3 fats and Vitamins C, B and K. Eating one cup of edamame beans will fulfill your daily intake of both iron and potassium. (Plus, they’re low-cal, at only 120 per half-cup serving!)

2.      Applesauce

Applesauce is a great way to take in antioxidants — in fact, the antioxidants that applesauce provide can reduce risks of certain cancers. The vitamins found in apples (Vitamin C) are also found in applesauce and protect the body from viruses and bacteria that lead to illnesses. (An apple a day keeps the doctor away). One serving of applesauce contains 4 grams of fiber, and as an anti-inflammatory snack, applesauce helps reduce inflammation in the joints of the body. This snack can also help ease conditions such as asthma and insomnia. Bonus—you’ll feel like you are in fifth grade again when you eat it out of the little snack packs.

3.      Almonds

Pick up a pack of raw roasted almonds next time you go to Jumbo Express. (Remember: You used to hit up the campus convenient store for your Pop Tart fix. You’ll thank me later… ) This healthy snack is rich in dietary fiber and vitamins, and almonds are a great source of energy. They are gluten-free, and each almond only has 7 calories, so feel free to splurge!

4.      String Cheese 

This is a great snack for in-between classes, but you’ll need a refrigerator to keep the cheese from going bad. If you’re up to it, buy from an organic company, such as Organic Valley. Low-fat mozzarella string cheese is very high in calcium and protein, and contains only 60 calories and 6g of fat.

5.      Hummus and Carrots

Next time you trick-turn in Hodgdon, grab a mini tub of hummus and a big of baby carrots instead of your usual cookie or ice cream. One-quarter cup of hummus and 6 carrot sticks is only 100 calories, plus hummus is rich in fiber (5 grams per serving!), so it will keep you full and satisfied for quite a while.

6.      Yogurt + Granola

Do you ever find yourself studying in Carm and Dewick, suddenly tempted by the dessert options? If you do, think twice before you eat a cookie that has 120 empty, sugary calories. Instead, head towards the yogurt ‘station’. A cup of yogurt contains 150 calories, and 8 grams of fat. Looking to sweeten things up? Be sure to add a handful of granola on top.

7.      Rice Cakes

Looking for something with a bit more texture to munch on? Skip the ice cream after dinner and go with a rice cake nstead. Made with brown rice, a Quaker Oats Lightly Salted Rice Cake is gluten-free, and contains 5g of whole grain and only 35 calories. Since rice is a carb, rice cakes are a great way to get energy. In addition, rice is proven to produce the neurotransmitter serotonin that can improve your mood—so just think of it as a healthy way to eat your feelings. 

8.      Raisins

Little snack packs of raisins are great for mindless eaters. You get the same rewards as zoning out while eating chocolate chips, but with more positive health results. (New research has shown that raisins have positive effects on blood pressure!) One box of the iconic red Sun Maid Raisins contains only 45 calories, 0g of fat and 11g of carbohydrates. 

Photo Source: blog.traumeel.us

Alex Horvitz is a junior at Tufts University in Boston, MA. She is double-majoring in Economics and Psychology and minoring in Communications and Media Studies. With a passion for beauty blogging, Alex is a contributing beauty blogger for Her Campus. Alex is a Co-President of Her Campus Tufts and she also worked as a Sales & Marketing Associate for Her Campus during the Summer of 2012. Email AlexHorvitz@hercampus.com with questions or connect with her on Twitter @Alex_Horvitz or LinkedIn!