harits mustya pratama g4iBHZM sKY unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
harits mustya pratama g4iBHZM sKY unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 reasons why you should have a daily routine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tufts chapter.

College is a time when everything happens at once – surprises are around every corner. But that doesn’t mean you should neglect planning altogether! Here are a few ways having a routine can actually help you improve your busy life.

1. Avoid procrastination – with a daily routine, you know what you have to do and when you’re supposed to be doing it! If you create a schedule for yourself, there’s a much better chance you’ll finish your work on time so you can move on to your next task.
  2. Make time for things you have to do – sometimes, it’s hard to motivate to do the things you dread. Whether it’s a tough group project or going to the gym, it’s hard to look forward to every part of your day. With a clear routine, you’ll get those out of the way without feeling like they’re too much of a burden!
  3. Have time for things you want to do – yes, you’re allowed to schedule things you like to do, also! Instead of getting caught up in the procrastination game, you can make time for what makes you happy and create a truly balanced lifestyle.
  4. Lower stress levels – knowing what you have to do and when – as well as breaking tasks up into parts, mixing in some breaks and making sure you have time to take care of yourself – will immediately be reflected in your stress levels. Organization is key!
  5. Be in control of your own life – it’s your life, so own it! Having a routine is the first step to being the one in charge of your everyday life, and you’ll feel better as soon as you make it happen.
Kaitlyn Meslin (Tufts University) is a senior majoring in International Relations with minors in Finance and Entrepreneurship. She is from Boston, MA.