This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tufts chapter.

12 Life Lessons from Mindy Kaling

Mindy Kaling, better known as “Kelly Kapoor” on the Office or “Dr. Mindy Lahiri” from her hit TV show The Mindy Project is this generation’s comedy super star. Down to earth and ridiculously funny, Mindy is one of those celebs who is a brilliant actress and an amazing role model as well. Here are a few life lessons from the comedy goddess herself:

Disclaimer: “I’m only marginally qualified to be giving advice at all. My body mass index is certainly not ideal, I frequently use my debit card to buy things that cost less than three dollars because I never have cash on me, and my bedroom is so untidy it looks like vandals ransacked the Anthropologie Sale section. I’m kind of a mess.” 

– Mindy Kaling, Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns)

1.  Don’t peak in high school.

Mindy brings up great advice to young women everywhere in her latest book, Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns). As she puts it:

“… when you get older, if you reference your successes in high school too much, it actually makes you look kind of pitiful, like some babbling old Tennessee Williams character with nothing else going on in her current life.” (p.31).

2.  Listen to your inner warrior.

3.   Do some Facebook stalking before the first date.

But maybe don’t bring up stuff that you already know until he tells you first.

4.   Accessorize to express yourself.

5.  Be mature about break-ups.

Or you know, grab a tub of ice cream and burn pictures of him. It’s pretty much the same thing.

6.  Don’t judge a book by its cover.

7.  Eat what you want when you want it.

8.   Be the bigger person.

“You should know I disagree with a lot of traditional advice. For instance, they say the best revenge is living well. I say it’s acid in the face—who will love them now?” 

– Mindy Kaling, Is Eveyone Hanging Out Without Me (And Other Concerns).

9.  Set goals and reach them.

10.  Occasionally, splurge a little on yourself.

I mean, maybe just a facial or a manicure will suffice…

11.  Love yourself, because you are perfect just the way you are!

12.  And most importantly… “A Best Friend isn’t a person, it’s a tier”.

For more from Mindy Kaling check out her hilarious book Is Everyone Hanging Out With Me (And Other Concerns), follow her on twitter, or watch The Mindy Project Tuesday nights @ 9:30 on Fox!

Need a study break, collegiettes? Check out this week’s Campus Cutie: http://www.hercampus.com/school/tufts/aditya-advani

Courtney is a junior at Tufts University where she is majoring in International Relations with a double minor in Communications & Media studies and Economics. She has previously worked for Santander Bank US as a Digital Marketing Analytics Intern as well as Jumpstart Knowledge Adventure where she focused on Social Media Content Creation.