This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TU Dublin chapter.
Cinnamon

Cinnamon has many health benefits, one of which being the ability to lower blood sugars. This is a great spice to use especially if you have diabetes.

Cinnamon has cinnamaldehyde (anti-viral, anti-bacterial, and anti-fungal properties) which is where all the medicinal magic lies. This antioxidant can help with inflammation and can relieve digestive discomfort.

It’s amazing that a little piece of inner bark from an evergreen tree can have so many health benefits. You can use cinnamon in a variety of ways such as in tea, curries,  herbal medicines, baking, and many more.

Turmeric

Turmeric has tons of benefits, from skincare needs right down to our bone/brain health.  

The important property of turmeric is curcumin, a very powerful antioxidant. It helps boost the body’s natural antioxidant enzymes. What that means is it helps with anti-aging and other health issues.

Turmeric is such a powerful anti-inflammatory that it can be as beneficial as some medicinal drugs.

Studies have shown that turmeric can help arthritis, help fight Alzheimer’s, reduce the risk of heart disease, and much more. Within skincare, turmeric has shown to help reduce hyperpigmentation and bring a natural glow to your skin.

Rosemary

The active ingredient in rosemary is rosmarinic acid, which is an antioxidant.

Rosemary is thought to help boost your immune system and improve your blood circulation.

It is also a cognitive stimulant which means it helps improve your memory and focus.

Another ability rosemary has is to suppress allergies and nasal congestion.

Garlic

Garlic has been used throughout time for its medicinal properties. Many garlic health benefits are from a compound called allicin which is also responsible for garlic’s unmistakable smell. It has been used to help treat sicknesses such as the common cold and has also been shown to reduce cholesterol and blood pressure.

Ginger

The active ingredient in ginger that makes it so effective is gingerol. Due to its anti-inflammatory properties, it can help with pain management. Ginger can be helpful to treat nausea (especially morning sickness) and to ease osteoarthritis. It can also help with weight loss and indigestion.

A little as 2 grams  in your diet can help with so many health issues

Spices are not bound to the rules of the kitchen. Adding the effective ingredients of spices can change your life for the better.

Iqrah Muhammad

TU Dublin '24

Writer & Designer Aspiring Broadcaster , striving to create change for women in society.
Monika Kumar

TU Dublin '24

Monika Kumar is attending Technological University Dublin. She is currently studying Business Computing. At TUD, Monika is learning how technology is used in the Business world. She uses her learning from business studies to write and lead for her Chapter in her school.