danielle macinnes IuLgi9PWETU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
danielle macinnes IuLgi9PWETU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Tips On How To Prepare For a Job Fair

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Towson chapter.

Searching for jobs can be a daunting task in college. With that said, it doesn’t have to be. Job fairs are a great way to be introduced to potential employers for an internship or full-time job as well as part-time position. They are offered once a semester, making it a great resource to aid in your job hunt. Here are some tips that can help you prepare for your next job fair:

Look through the list of companies who are attending

Before a job fair, the lists of companies who are attending are listed under the announcement for the event. It is a good idea to pick out the companies from that list that match the career you are trying to pursue or your general interest. This will eliminate the feeling of being overwhelmed when you arrive at the job fair because you will know the specific companies that attract you. Remember to still keep an open mind toward the other companies that are there. Sometimes, it is not always obvious how a company can relate to the career you want to pursue.

Do your research

Knowing more in-depth information about a company before you attend a job fair can help you have a clearer understanding of what that company is looking for and how you can fit. It can help you stand out as well because you will be able to form intelligent questions to ask them when you meet. Of course, these companies want to get to know you but knowing something about them makes you a more impressive candidate!

Have your résumé checked

It doesn’t hurt to get a second opinion on your already fabulous résumé. As college students, we have the advantage of getting our résumé looked over for free by career professionals! Many colleges provide this service through the career services center on campus. You should be bringing multiple copies of your résumé with you to a job fair.  Having your résumé corrected and looking as professional as possible is another way to make a good impression.

Prepare an introduction

I know this might sound silly but being able to introduce yourself is important to making a strong impression. It is neccessary to be able to market yourself in a clear manner; you should not be winging it! By preparing your introduction, it will help you answer the dreaded question, “Can you tell me a little about yourself?” Having a solid introduction will not only help to explain who you are and what you are trying to accomplish, but it will also show potential employers that you are confident and prepared.

Make sure you have professional attire

Job fairs are formal events, you need to dress professionally. Many people have this mindset that since you are only talking to recruiters at job fairs that you do not need to make a good impression because you are just simply giving them your resume. This is false! You can be hired that day by those recruiters. Since your exterior is the first thing they see before talking to you, let them receive the impression that you are professional and responsible from your attire.

Job fairs are a great way to help you in your job search. As college students, we should be taking advantage of this free opportunity to market ourselves and possibly, land a job or internship.  I hope you keep these simple tips in mind when preparing for your next job fair. Good luck!

Hi, I'm Talore. Currently, I am junior at Towson University. I am a  English major with a minor in Business, Communications, and the Liberal Arts. Some of my hobbies include traveling, listening to music, going to concerts, reading, and binge watching some show on Netflix. I enjoy drinking coffee (honestly, I am an addict!) and I am obsessed with dogs. Along with Her Campus, I am the Head of Recruitment Operations for my sorority Delta Phi Epsilon. This is my second year on the Her Campus team and I love being part of this organization!  Instagram: @itstalore
Her Campus

Towson '25