kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

10 Trader Joe’s Foods that College Students Will Love

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Towson chapter.

As college students, it is our goal to save money and get great deals on the things we need in life. We also find that we don’t have time to do the most simple things anymore, like grocery shopping and cooking an appetizing, healthy meal. Grocery shopping can sometimes be stressful because we aren’t 100 percent sure of what we want, when we will eat it or if it will end up going to waste. We haven’t exactly gotten to the point in our lives where we have the time to experiment with ingredients and recipes, but we have begun to realize what foods may be best for our bodies and how we should limit the things that aren’t exactly healthy.

Many students ignore Trader Joe’s because they think of it as an organic store with expensive products. Although many of Trader Joe’s items are organic, many, if not most products, are perfect for college students with a low budget. Many of Trader Joe’s most delicious products are found in the frozen aisle, and while they are easy for college students to make, they are also very nutritious. During the stressful semesters of college I find that Trader Joe’s is the light at the end of the tunnel that helps many students (including me) get past the long papers and studying. 

Here is a list of my ten favorite products from Trader Joe’s that cost less than $7!

1. Ready to Bake Pizza Dough for $1.19

These bags of dough are the perfect thing to have when you have a night to create your own pizza. Trader Joe’s makes the dough mix for you, and offers you different types such as plain, whole wheat, and garlic and herb. You can really let your creativity flow into your food when taking a break from studying. Try adding fresh mozzarella, tomatoes and olive oil to your pizza, or even pesto and grilled chicken. By buying these cheap (but delicious) dough bags, you can save money by using kitchen products you already have to create a one-of-a-kind pizza.

2. Ciabattini Rolls for $1.99

If you love eating warm bread, then these rolls are perfect for you. Ciabattini rolls are half-baked, so when you are ready to use them you just pop them in the oven for a little and wait for them to brown on the top. The results are fantastic, warm, and fresh on the inside and crunchy on the outside. These rolls can also be placed in the freezer for a long time if you don’t want to use them right away.

3. Frozen Enchiladas for $1.99

These are literally the best things to have in your freezer when you have to eat something quickly before class or when you’re on the go. Trader Joe’s frozen enchiladas are corn tortillas that come in cheese or chicken, are coated with a delectable tomato sauce and topped with shredded cheese. They come in a pack of two and microwave in 2-3 minutes. They even come in a small tray so if you don’t feel like getting your dishes dirty you can simply recycle the container. The most amazing part is that even though they are a frozen food, these enchiladas are packed with zesty flavor! They totally beat taking a trip to Taco Bell, and the aroma of Mexican food from your microwave will instantly make your mouth water when they are ready.

Another great find is Trader Joe’s Burritos, which are only $2.99.

4. Mandarin Chicken-less Morsels for $2.99

Trader Joe’s has a lot of products branded as “chicken-less” meaning that the meat is substituted for a vegetarian and vegan alternative. Although I am not vegetarian nor vegan, I have heard that Trader Joe’s Mandarin Chicken-less Morsels are to die for. These bites can either be placed in the oven or popped into the microwave, depending on your schedule (or laziness). The morsels are bursting with citrusy flavor and come out crispy with a great chicken flavor and no greasy residue.

5. Arugula and Parmigiano Ravioli for $2.99

I couldn’t believe how great these ravioli were when I first tried them! Light and fluffy, this cheese filled pasta will warm your heart with happiness with its creamy stuffing and bitter hints of arugula. The pasta is fresh and extremely easy to cook — it only takes a few minutes. You can choose to lightly drizzle them with olive oil or use a tomato sauce to spice up the flavors. However, the cheese-enveloped pasta already has so much flavor it doesn’t need much else to enhance it. Trader Joe’ has other types of ravioli, but this is my favorite.

6. Just Mango Slices for $2.99

Trader Joe’s is the best grocery store to buy dried fruit because of their great low prices. There are two mangos packed into each Just Mango Slices at Trader Joe’s. The slices are tightly sealed in order to conserve their tart flavor and their chewy texture. What makes these slices even better is that they contain no other additional ingredients, just the mango. Trader Joe’s makes sure that the mangos used for their slices are ripe and ready and even use different types of mangoes to contain a consistent variety in singularity and flavor. The store contains many other dried fruits around the same price as the mango slices.

7. Organic Yogurt Cups for $3.19

They come in packs of six and each contain two different yogurt flavors, either blueberry and vanilla, mango and peach or banana and strawberry. Sweet and creamy, these yogurts are cheap and worth buying for breakfast or as a snack. They are small enough to bring with you to school and are bursting with real fruit flavor.

8. Spicy Chai Latte Mix for $3.49

I love buying this chai mix because it is so simple and fun to use, and is the perfect mix to buy if you absolutely adore chai tea. The mix contains black tea, honey, sugar and other spices (including anise, ginger and cinnamon), so that all you need to do is add water or milk to create your drink. You can either make your chai hot by adding boiling water, or you can make it iced by pouring the hot chai tea over ice and then adding cold milk. Spending $3.49 on this 10- ounce container is totally worth it when you realize that each serving costs just under 50 cents (meaning seven servings of this delicious refreshment.) It means a lot when you might be spending $3.49 on one drink alone at a Starbucks.

9. Chicken Apple Sausages for $3.99

Trader Joe’s offers many different types of sausage links at their store, but if you aren’t a big fan of pork, they offer a great chicken alternative! These sausages contain 70 percent less fat than normal sausage and contain all-natural ingredients. They are also partially cooked when bought, so you don’t have to worry about eating raw meat after cooking them. Trader Joe’s makes these sausages even better by adding a little bit of maple syrup, so if you enjoy eating meat with a hint of sweet, then this is the perfect buy for you. Each package comes with five hearty sausage links. If you don’t feel that you will eat all of them in a week you can always wrap them up individually in plastic wrap and freeze them until needed.

10. Wild Caught Soy Ginger Cod Fillets for $6.99 per pound

These frozen cod fillets are amazing for many reasons. First, they are vacuum-packed slabs of fish that are already coated in a savory and tangy marinade, which will require you to do nothing but throw in the oven and bake until it is ready to eat. The marinated fish has no indication that it was once frozen after baking it, as the soy and ginger make the fish juicy and flavorful and can be added with any side including rice or a vegetable. The fillets are mild enough for people who don’t enjoy flavors that are too spicy, and can even be pan-fried or microwaved.

Overall, Trader Joe’s is a great store to do a majority of your grocery shopping. There are many other products that will satisfy your taste buds and keep you healthy and energized during the school year. The best thing to do is go to your nearest Trader Joe’s (right near the mall!) and shop for the products you enjoy the most, and I promise you will leave with a smile on your face.

I'm a sophomore at Towson University, and am originally from Gaithersburg, MD. I'm double majoring in advertising and public relations, with a minor in marketing and Italian. I love fashion, photography, playing the violin, listening to all types of music, history, and going on adventures with friends.