This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

When I finished high school, I was going through a rough time in my life. I thought leaving home for university at 17 would be the solution to all my problems. 

But my parents knew that running off to university wasn’t going to solve my problems and make things worse for me. So they suggested I take a year off for myself to decide whether the university acceptance was what I wanted to pursue in my life and to help my mental health.

The advice they gave me was, “It’s just one year. What harm will taking a year off cause?”

Despite me resenting the idea at first, I deferred my Ryerson offer and took a year off from high school to figure out what I wanted to pursue in my life. 

Taking a gap year made me feel more confident with myself but also made me realize that the Ryerson offer for the School of Journalism was the career I wanted to lead in the future. 

Two years after taking my gap year, I’ve never truly realized how much I now advocate gap years to my friends who are still in high school. After my gap year, I know I will try to advise my kids to take one as well.

Here are a few pieces of advice I would suggest if you’re thinking of taking a gap year because honestly, it’s never too late to take one.

It’s okay to not have a plan…

When I started my gap year, I was a 17-year-old just going through life. I had no idea what I wanted to do after my 13 years of school, and I felt alone and emotionally and physically exhausted.

I didn’t have a plan at first for what I would do during my gap year because I just wanted to prioritize my mental health and rest. 

…but try to do things you would really love

When I was done resting and prioritizing myself first, I decided to spice up my gap year a little. During my gap year, I got to travel around my country, hang out with friends, and pursue internships that would help me decide my love for journalism.

I prioritized my mental health by seeking out help but by also keeping myself busy with activities. This is a great time to learn something new like a language! You can even pursue a passion of yours that you have always thought about. Check around in your city if there are any classes whether it’s in person or on Zoom!

Prioritize your mental health first

A lesson I’ve brought with me even after my gap year. Your mental health is the most important thing ever. If you’re not doing good mentally, please talk to someone. It always gets better I promise.

This is a time to help you figure out who you are, but also what you want.

It’s a gap year for a reason! Do what you love, find out what you like, figure out who you are. Take it as a year off from your life. You are here to explore and to learn more about yourself, not others. 

Taking a gap year can help you be ahead of the pack. You’ll have a better idea of what you want to do school and career-wise because you spent your year trying to figure out what you want.

This doesn’t have to just be one year.

You definitely don’t need to take just one year off. I know people that have taken two years off because they didn’t know what they were doing with their life. You can take more time off, or even take a month off if that’s what you want! As long as you are applying the other rules above, take as long as you want. You’ll be ready for the world when you feel ready.

If you don’t feel ready for the next stage of your life that’s okay. That’s why gap years are here. If you wish to take a gap year, then go for it! It’s never too late to take a gap year. Whether you’re in high school, in your second year of university, or about to graduate university. 

Gap years have the stigma of being a “lazy year” but that’s only if you decide to make it that way. Even if you decide to not do anything during your year and just watch Netflix, or you decide to do the most. As long as you’re developing as a person and prioritizing your mental health, that’s the only thing that matters.

Hi everyone! I'm Ayleen and I’m a fourth-year journalism student from Lahore, Pakistan. I currently live in the big city of Toronto, Canada and I can't wait to share all my thoughts, and experiences with you! A few things about me... I love food, animals, and horror movies. Sounds like a killer combo am I right? Check out my writings in my profile or follow me on all my socials to see more from me!
Hi! This is the contributor account for Her Campus at Ryerson.