Why Does Familiarity Push Students to Rewatch Shows?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

The Office has always been my favourite show to rewatch, and by the time the pandemic hit, I had already seen it seven times. It became the optimal background show I needed to cope with all the uncertainty looming over the world. I found comfort in the characters, their lives, and knew every punchline – giving me the much-needed predictability in my life. After speaking to fellow students, I realized I may not be the only one finding comfort and security rewatching shows. 

Experts have their own notions on why rewatching is so popular, especially amid the pandemic– so I decided to put this research to the rest and ask university students what shows they rewatch and why.

Mariam Hoda, Graphic Design student at York University, says her go-to show to rewatch is Gilmore Girls because it makes her feel safe. 

“There are no surprises and spikes in your anxiety while watching [Gilmore Girls] because you know what’s going to happen,” she wrote in an Instagram message.

She’s not the only one hitting replay on Gilmore Girls. Madison Delongte, first-year Children, Childhood and Youth Studies student at York University, finds herself rewatching Gilmore Girls because she sees herself in the main character, Rory, through their shared dedication to academics. Delongte also loves rewatching The Office.  

“These shows help me take my mind off of everything I’m worried about,” says Delongte. “Knowing [the show] will have a good ending is really important to me. When I feel overwhelmed with life, watching them really helps me calm down.” 

Some viewers tend to gravitate towards rewatching shows for the nostalgia it brings. Hamna Imtiaz, Health Science student at McMaster University agrees. She says it’s the “familiarity and connection” that she’s made with the characters that bring her back every time.

It seems as though students are prone to falling back into the cycle of rewatching shows for a plethora of reasons. Elry Koganemaru, Professional Communication student at Ryerson University, finds that Modern Family is her go-to show to rewatch.

Koganemaru admits that the comedic family dynamics in the show are entertaining and hopes to experience them herself. “It’s something I aim for in the future,” she wrote in an Instagram message. 

Shows like The Office are a clear indication of interest in rewatching culture. A report by Nielsen found that The Office was able to nab over 87 billion minutes of viewership in 2020.

Mia Faye, Journalism student at Ryerson prefers restarting an old show over a new one. She says watching shows such as Parks and Recreation gives her a sense of peace and relaxation as she likes “knowing what’s going to happen next.”

No matter the reasoning, rewatching shows brings a sense of solace, predictability and nostalgia to our lives. It allows us to connect with characters and reminisce over familiar scenes.

Why do you rewatch shows? 

Sania Ali

Toronto MU '24

Sania Ali is a fourth-year Journalism student at Toronto Metropolitan University and is based in the Greater Toronto Area. Growing up, Sania's interest in creating an impact has been constant and over the years she continues to practise storytelling through media and writing. After graduation, she hopes to focus on news, lifestyle and investigative journalism expressed through lengthy articles, podcasts and multi-media. Outside of work, Sania's probably munching on a blizzard, watching crime documentaries and overconsuming TikTok content. Sania hopes her articles can spark introspection and reliability and is super excited to contribute to Her Campus.