What is ‘Lucky Girl Syndrome’ and How do I Catch it?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

As I scroll through my For You Page on TikTok, I always seem to come across that one audio that says, “things are always working out for me no matter how it looks at any given point in time.”

If you have caught “lucky girl syndrome,” you are no stranger to affirmations.

While I’m watching these videos, I repeat these words synchronously with the audio. I let it replay several times before scrolling to the next one. I guess my goal is to put those words out into the universe in hopes of attracting positive opportunities and good luck.

Lately, I’ve been repeating affirmations similar to this one. My intention is to remind myself that I am deserving of the best and to alter my mindset.

You may think I am delusional for repeating these affirmations, but I’ll try almost anything if there is a chance of catching “lucky girl syndrome.”

So what exactly is “lucky girl syndrome”?

Firstly, anyone can catch “lucky girl syndrome”; you don’t need to identify as a female to start noticing the symptoms.

“Lucky girl syndrome” uses the law of attraction, which is a belief that you can speak your wants and desires into existence. The strategy is to use positive thoughts and words to benefit aspects of your life.

When you stop thinking negatively, it dramatically impacts your outlook on life. If you continue to express negative thoughts toward yourself, you will not see any improvement. Change will only begin when you enter an optimistic mentality. 

Once you truly believe in the best outcomes, opportunities will follow you. This is when “lucky girl syndrome” will take over.

“Lucky girl syndrome” is not a miracle, but it is a step in the right direction as your perspectives will start to transform. Once we put in the work to change our attitudes, we will be rewarded with good fortune.

After all, that is what those affected by “lucky girl syndrome” believe.

I am still waiting to see if I have caught “lucky girl syndrome,” as I still experience some bad days. If anything, saying these phrases out loud helps to remind me that things always work out and, in the end, I will be more than okay.

Sydney Di Brina

Toronto MU '23

Sydney is in the Journalism program at Toronto Metropolitan University. She loves to try out new recipes, exercise, binge-watch shows/movies and drink matcha.