Career > Work

Setting Boundaries At Work: Why it’s important and how to do it

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

Have you ever found yourself answering an email or message long after work hours are over? Maybe working on a project that isn’t your responsibility? There’s so much conversation surrounding the importance of setting boundaries with friends and family, but boundaries with coworkers and supervisors are often overlooked. It’ll start as a quick action or favour for someone else and eventually snowball into a constant overstepping of boundaries. You may begin to build resentment towards that person for messaging you after hours and for asking you to help them with a task, but by learning how to communicate properly, there are ways to fix this work-life imbalance.

Building boundaries is important for so many reasons. It can allow you to have real rest when you’re not working and can improve your overall desire to work when you actually need to because you have given yourself that time away from the computer. Boundaries can prevent you from festering disdain towards coworkers or bosses and experiencing burnout. They will act as a more balanced way of accomplishing tasks and will create an overall harmonious work environment for everyone. But how can you set these boundaries?

1. Figure out what your boundaries are

It’s obvious that before you can set boundaries you need to ask yourself what your boundaries are in the first place. Ask yourself just how much extra work you’re willing to put in if asked and how much time you’re willing to spend doing the work. Be honest with yourself because it will be much easier down the road. It’s helpful to write down your boundaries or make mental notes so that they’re as clear as possible!

1. Be straightforward and don’t be afraid to say no

Though many of us are people pleasers and find ourselves saying yes to just about everything, it’s important to realize that saying ‘no’ won’t make people like you any less (and if they do, that’s their problem, not yours). Taking on too many responsibilities that are not your own will drag you away from what you need to complete first and you’ll deliver less than what you wanted. Being kind and offering a favour to someone is great, but not when it’s so constant as you don’t have time to actually do your job. If there is a task you know you can’t help with, or simply don’t want to help with (which is totally fine), be honest from the beginning and tell that person you are not able to do it. Take the time to practice professional ways to say ‘no’ in order to avoid rash responses that can come across as rude.

1. Create a work routine

By starting and ending work at the same time every day, you have already set a time boundary for yourself. This shows everyone what you work with and what kind of timeframe they can reach out to you during. In addition, it will let you set boundaries with yourself so you can separate your professional life from your personal one, especially if you work from home as these lines can get pretty blurry. Make sure to stick to this schedule and don’t start answering emails after you’ve clocked out or check on that project over the weekend. Though it’s tempting, you must also practice being firm with yourself about when you work.

1. Remember your job description

Oftentimes in entry-level positions, we are asked to perform tasks that are well out of our job description. If you have decided that this specific task isn’t out of your comfort zone then completing it might prove to be beneficial to you. However, if it isn’t, remind yourself what exactly you are being paid to do and see if the task aligns with that. Check if the task is more suited for someone else and firmly communicate with your supervisor that it is not in your capacity to perform. 

1. Take charge of your limitations

In spite of making all the efforts to assert clear boundaries, there will be a point where they might be violated. Make sure not to waver from your boundary in this situation and let others know that they have breached it. If you are determined in your boundaries and what violates them, your colleagues will be less likely to cross them again.

The conversation about boundary setting can be daunting, especially in a new job or with a particularly intimidating supervisor, but remember that they are just people who also have boundaries of their own. In order for a work environment to thrive, everyone should be respectful of everyone else’s boundaries. Being firm doesn’t mean you’re rude, and it doesn’t mean you’re never going to cooperate or lend a hand to those in need. It just means you are being respectful to yourself and ensuring that you have positive energy surrounding your work life as often as possible.

I'm Sam and I'm a Media Production student minoring in Global Politics at TMU! You can usually catch me thrifting, running or buying too many books. I love to over analyze films and write about them.