This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

With deadlines piling up, it can be difficult to stay motivated. Completing assignments that are worth a large percentage of your grade can be a daunting task, and finding some inspiration to help you push through the rest of the semester can feel impossible.

Even though exam season is stressful, you shouldn’t let poor procrastination habits prevent you from achieving academic success. For example, making a few small lifestyle changes during the last few weeks of the semester can prevent you from spending the holidays haunted by the one essay that you should’ve started earlier (been there, done that).

So, if you’re desperate for study inspiration, read on for some of the productivity techniques that got me through my first year of university.

To avoid forgetting about important due dates, make a to-do list

One of my biggest fears is forgetting to submit an assignment because I was too preoccupied with other tasks. This is why the best thing to do is write everything down. 

I use Notion on my laptop to create my own to-do lists. This platform allows you to create unique, aesthetically-pleasing notes that are completely customizable. It’s also perfect for anyone who prefers digital study tools. 

But if online to-do lists aren’t your thing, academic planners or journals are super useful too. They also might be more reliable, since you can bring them with you wherever you go and you don’t have to worry about pesky software glitches ruining your day.

Don’t overwhelm yourself – work on a little bit of each assignment every day

While to-do lists are great, they can also be a bit overwhelming. Try not to focus on every single task on your list. To ease your stress, work on the biggest or most important tasks first. You can also work on a little bit of each assignment at a time

I find that completing little tasks always motivates me to complete larger ones, so don’t stress yourself out! Start small, and you’ll get there eventually.

Try to go to bed early

Okay, okay, I know that I probably sound like your parents right now but trust me, getting a good night’s sleep will do you wonders. Besides making me feel physically great, going to bed early always seems to lift my mood.

I also try to stop studying at around 8 pm, allowing me to decompress and “turn off” my brain for the night. So if you have a poor sleep schedule and are finding yourself procrastinating more than usual, try to go to bed a little earlier each night. Baby steps, folks.

Don’t forget to take a break

Taking a break doesn’t necessarily mean doing nothing – you can go for a walk, make a cup of coffee, call a friend or clean your room. This will help you feel less burnt out since working on a task nonstop throughout the day will only decrease your motivation.

And don’t forget to eat! Make sure to save time for breakfast, lunch, dinner and (of course) snacks.

Identify any distractions that might be preventing you from staying focused

This is the key to improvement. If you find that your phone is distracting, turn it off and put it in another room. If your home environment is too loud, try to work at a library or make a trip to one of the study spots on campus.

You should also recognize the times throughout the day when you feel the most productive. For me, I tend to be most productive in the afternoon, so I save that time for the more intense tasks and the mornings for lighter tasks, such as completing class readings or editing.

If you’re still feeling unmotivated, watch a few videos from these YouTubers

If none of these tips work, getting some inspiration from StudyTube might help. Honestly, sometimes romanticizing university is the only way to get things done. Here are a few of my favourite YouTubers who always motivate me: 

Even though these tips might not work for everyone, you can definitely make some minor changes to suit your personal needs. Also, while doing well in school is important, don’t forget that your mental and physical health is so much more valuable than getting a good grade. Happy studying! 

Claire is an English BA student at Toronto Metropolitan University. When she's not writing, she enjoys spending her free time wandering through the aisles of her local bookstore, attending concerts, and cooking new (and sometimes disappointing) recipes.