How to avoid getting sick during the flu season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

Once again, it is that time of the year when the weather chooses to be unpredictable, viruses are more contagious, and people become very sick.

With these few ancient methods, you won’t have to rely solely on taking unnatural medications or chemically filled pills to heal yourself but can also explore other options.

1. Tea

Tea is my number-one go-to when I am sick. It is a great way to detox the body of bad viral bodies. The hot water also breaks down any mucus or inflammation in the throat and sinuses. 

Bonus: Add ginger, lemon, honey and turmeric to your tea as they have great antibacterial properties. 

2. Fruits and veggies

Fruits and vegetables are backed with antioxidants and vitamins, which are super beneficial to protect your immune system. For a healthy dose, have around one to two cups every day, which will help you not to fall sick. Oranges and berries like strawberries and blueberries are great, as well as leafy greens, beetroot and carrots for vegetables.

3. Protein 

Eating the right food is such an important part of health. Protein gives the body fuel and strength which other foods are unable to. Protein also helps maintain old cells and create new ones, which produces antibodies that fight off infections. Not only does it help to maintain weight and curb hunger, but builds muscle and improves stomach health. Chicken, lean beef, fish and tofu are some great options to eat regularly.

4. Cleanliness

Believe it or not, but how clean you are is crucial to always stay a slaying baddie. Not only is a messy room unattractive but it can also foster room for bacteria and old germs to brew. Where you sleep and rest at the end of the night should be the cleanest. Even other things like keeping the bathroom clean, sweeping and dusting occasionally and taking out the trash can help with germ spreading.

5. Hygiene

When there’s cleanliness, there is always hygiene. Being clean and having good hygiene will stop you from contracting any illness. Wash your hands and face, brush your teeth often, take hot showers and always make sure your feet are clean before bed. Our feet tend to get the dirtiest in heels, sandals and even from being out in regular shoes the whole day. Sleeping with dirty feet is one of the worst ways to go to bed. Maintaining adequate hygiene only brings you one step closer to maintaining good health this flu season.

6. Yoga/Meditation

Lastly, I believe everyone should have some yoga or stretching routine. Meditation is not only good for the mind but distresses and improves blood circulation, opens the lungs and gets rid of muscle pains. Some great accounts to get started are on YouTube. This is the key way to stay fit, healthy and happy.

Here is a list with short yet effective yoga videos. 

These six tips and tricks will keep your immune system healthy and ready to tackle any airborne viral bodies that come your way. Not only will this help prevent illness but also strengthen the immune system to produce antibodies which eliminate sickness and disease. 

☀️ Related: Don’t Sleep on a Good Morning Routine
Prisha Dev

Toronto MU '25

Prisha is a journalism student who loves writing, travelling, sports, fashion and of course coffee!! She has written for numerous publications varying on many topics. Check out her Instagram for more content @prishadev