This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

As TikTok rises in popularity, so does its influence. Now the third-largest social network in the world, TikTok is playing a pivotal role in the social media landscape and has changed media consumption as a whole. The music industry has been transformed due to the fast-paced and attention-grabbing nature of TikTok. Trends have created new hit songs overnight with a noticeable effect on the music charts. The app has created a new gateway for small artists and has acted as a platform for the discovery of new music. 

Creating Hits

The virality of TikTok trends relies on audio, whether they be dances, comedy bits, or fashion segments. Regardless of the type of content being produced, audio plays a major role in the final product. TikTok has created an easy system to find new sounds and reuse them when desired. Through hashtags, a memorable song can easily be found again. With the click of a button, you can reuse the audio on a video you are currently watching and create your own masterpiece. As more people hear a song, more people begin to use it, and the cycle continues leading to viral TikTok songs. These often-catchy tunes have made their way off the app and on to the leading music charts.

Changing the Charts 

Songs become popular due to the recognition that trends provide. The more people listen to a song on TikTok, the more people want to listen to it off of the app. This creates popularity on streaming services, leading to downloads which are reflected in the charts. Many songs have skyrocketed on the charts following their popularity on TikTok. Billboard created a list of some of these hits, including “Say So” by Doja Cat and “Savage” by Megan Thee Stallion, which both sat at #1 after they circulated the app due to dance trends.

Discovering New Music 

The quick nature of TikTok videos, from 15 seconds to three-minutes, leads to rapid consumption of content and concurrently the consumption of more music. Audio leads to the virality of many videos on TikTok. The dependence on audio has led to TikTok becoming a music discovery platform. The “For You” page algorithm tailors the content you are viewing to what you would like to view. If you have liked multiple videos with the same audio, you will likely continue to hear that song the more you go down your feed. Not only will that song grow on you, but similar content will be pushed to your page.

Small Artists 

Like many other social media platforms, TikTok allows users to follow creators they enjoy. Many musicians have taken to the app for promotion, behind-the-scenes content and non music-related videos. At any moment, a TikTok video or audio can go viral, which can change the trajectory of a small artist’s career significantly. TikTok alone can create a hit artist overnight. Bella Poarch became a TikTok sensation due to her lip-syncing videos. After finding  fame on the app, Poarch released her debut single,Build a Bitch” which received 13.1 million U.S. streams in the first week it was released. Even without virality or fame, TikTok is providing small artists with a platform for recognition and the ability to form and interact with a community and fan base.

🥰 Related: TikTok Is Changing Our Self-Perception
🥰 Related: 5 Songs To Listen To When You’re Feeling Overwhelmed
Nalyn Tindall

Toronto MU '25

Nalyn is a second year journalism student at Toronto Metropolitan University, originally from Camrose, Alberta. She is loving living in Toronto and can often be found exploring the city with her friends. When not at a concert or finding new places to eat or take photos, she's probably watching videos or listening to music. She has a love of house plants, her cat, and snacks, as well as a passion for politics and social change which have inspired her to pursue journalism.