Wellness > Mental Health

5 Songs to Listen to When You’re Feeling Overwhelmed

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

I think it’s safe to say that October is a busy month for many university students. With midterms, assignments, essays, extracurriculars and part-time jobs all piling up, it can be easy to feel anxious, stressed and overwhelmed. 

One thing that helps me overcome these feelings is listening to music. Music allows me to escape my busy life––even if it’s just for a few minutes––and focus on myself and my feelings. 

So, here are five songs you should listen to whenever you find yourself feeling overwhelmed. 

1.      “Be Myself”- Why Don’t We

“Be Myself” by the band Why Don’t We, is the perfect song to listen to if you find yourself feeling anxious or worried. The vulnerability the band unveils is heard in their potent lyrics, especially the chorus, which goes as follows: “Take me somewhere I can be/ I can be myself (be myself)/ Oh, take me somewhere I am free/ Free to be myself and nothin’ else.” The overall message of the song, mixed with the relaxing strumming of the acoustic guitar and smooth vocals, instantly relaxes and calms my mind. 

2.      “Slow Me Down”- Emmy Rossum

Emmy Rossum reminds us of the importance of slowing down and enjoying the little moments in our lives, in her song “Slow Me Down”. The first verse describes how busy life can be when she says, “Rushing and racing and running in circles/Moving so fast, I’m forgetting my purpose/Blur of the traffic is sending me spinning, getting nowhere.” Life can get busy and it’s easy to feel like we are running out of time to accomplish everything. Her song reminds us to take a step back from our busy lives, slow down and just breathe.

3.      “Call My Name”- Lukas Graham 

With so much going on, it can be hard to take a break and just focus on ourselves. Lukas Graham’s song, “Call My Name”, beautifully summarizes that it’s okay to reach out for help. His powerful chorus goes as follows: “So if you need a friend/ Someone to hold your hand/ Call my name/ And I won’t be far away.” His song, with its relaxing drum beat and soothing strings, is the perfect reminder for us to take a break from our busy lives and reach out to loved ones.

4.      “Rainbow”- Kacey Musgraves

Kacey Musgraves’s song “Rainbow” uses the analogy of a rainbow that always comes out after a rainstorm. Her song illustrates the idea that, despite the weather (worries that you feel), a rainbow (better days) will always come. Her positive words can be heard in her chorus as follows: “’Cause the sky has finally opened/ The rain and wind stopped blowing’/ But you’re stuck out in the same ol’ storm again/ Let go of your umbrella / ‘Cause, darlin’, I’m just tryin’ to tell ya/ That there’s always been a rainbow hangin’ over your head.” Her song focuses on the good that will come––even if it seems impossible. 

5.      “Better Days”- Ant Clemons, Justin Timberlake 

“Better Days” is an encouraging and optimistic song with the message that better days will come. The pre-chorus goes as follows: “You gon’ see there’s a light at the end of the tunnel (at the end of the tunnel)/ Keep your eyes on the road ahead (on the road ahead)/ And if you’re feelin’ lost in the night (lost in the night)/ It’s okay to cry (it’s okay to cry)/ Just as long as you hold your head.” Even though we may feel overwhelmed with so much going on, this song reminds us to look ahead as good things will come with time. 

Julia Gianfelice

Toronto MU '25

Julia is a second year journalism student at Toronto Metropolitan University.