Gracie Abrams’ ‘Good Riddance’ Is An Incomparable Break Up Album

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

Gracie Abrams released her full-length debut Good Riddance on Feb. 24, 2023. She perfectly describes the stages of a breakup in such a strong yet serene way. In this album, Abrams truly acknowledges all her insecurities and anxieties, describing her state of mind in the different kinds of relationships and breakups. It shows a deeper side of music; every song has a particular message. If I’m being honest, I haven’t been able to stop listening to every song on this album since the day it was released. It hurts in such a beautiful way. Here’s a deep dive into the lyrics behind seven of the twelve tracks.

This is what the drugs are for

“This is what the drugs are for” symbolizes the pain of going through a breakup and trying whatever it takes to forget about the person. Abrams demonstrates how no matter what you are doing, the other person somehow always appears in your thoughts. 

“I’m burying your things inside my bedroom, old distractions, in the end, don’t work, I’m left to sit and think about you”

Abrams does a great job of connecting with her listeners by making this song relatable to those going through a breakup.

I should hate you

“I should hate you” is a song about knowing that it is time to close the door of a relationship but still loving the person. It strongly expresses how stupid it makes you feel to still care about someone who could care less about you.

“All I ever think about is where the hell you even are and I swear to God I’d kill you if I loved you less hard”

This song perfectly describes the frustration of wanting to hate someone who hurt you in the past just to be able to move on. The worst part is when you realize it’s not as easy as it seems because of the deep affection you still feel toward them.

Best

“Best” is the first song on the album, and it immediately expresses how she felt when she took her past relationship for granted. Her partner was constantly there for her, but because of her own issues, she was never able to be the best for them.

“Promise I don’t forget all of my faults in this, ‘cause look at me, I’m alone, sitting here, stayin’ home”

What I like most about this song is that she is honest about her own mistakes and admits them. In most cases, it’s hard for someone to admit that they were the problem. But in this song, she is not afraid to blame herself for the fallout of the relationship.

Full machine

“Full machine” is the song you listen to during a breakup with the person you thought was your forever. It discusses the urge of wanting to call them and have them back in your life.

“But do you think we could talk? ‘Cause I’ve been trying to tell you how you’re the one that I turn to, but I should probably stop”

Losing that one person who you used to tell everything to and mostly depend on can be the hardest thing to get over. The strength it takes not to call them when you feel like you are falling apart is the exact feeling she tries to share in this song.

Where do we go now?

“Where do we go now?” is the second single off this album which was released on Jan. 13, 2023.

“Guess the space was the thing that I needed but I miss you”

This song expresses the confusion of what to do when a relationship ends badly. She acknowledges how she hurt her partner but, at the same time, how much she misses them. She felt the need to have space in the relationship realizing it made her miss them when it was far too late.

I know it won’t work

“I know it won’t work” is the song for those who love someone so much but know it won’t be able to work out. It talks about wanting a relationship to work out despite all of the problems from the past but also reminding yourself that it’s not that simple.

“I know we cut all the ties, but you’re never really leaving”

This lyric perfectly describes the song because despite cutting all communication with the person, a part of you still wishes it could work out. This song reminds me of accepting the brutal honesty of your past relationship. The more you think about it, the more you realize it would have never worked.

Fault line

“Fault line” is a song that expresses having someone be your safety but knowing that the minute you end it, you will be okay. You just need to have the strength to walk away to know that you will be fine without them.

“When I’m down, I fall right back to you, it happens, I know you’re a fault line”

It talks about having someone be your weakness because they make you feel comfortable but finally realizing that leaving the relationship was not as bad as you thought. You just needed the push to be able to be happy without them.

Krishika Jethani

Toronto MU '23

Hi! My name is Krishika and I am a student at Toronto Metropolitan University. I am currently in the Creative Industries program studying Fashion and Journalism. I have a passion for writing and dream to someday become a journalist. I enjoy singing and watching Gilmore Girls in my free time! <3