This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

Soft, crunchy chocolate fudge with nuts and extra fudge. Nutella tarts. Oreo cakes. Donuts. Chocolate croissants. Cinnamon buns. Do you want me to name more or are you already drooling all over your screen?

I know, I feel you. I am a cake and brownie person, too. I simply get a foodgasm just looking at them. I love exploring new bakeries, tasting their specials, then bragging about them on social media. I mean, don’t we all?

I have something special for all my sweet tooth friends out there. Here is a list of five must-try bakeries that you cannot miss when you visit these countries.

1. Tartine, USA

Famous for its bread, Tartine bakery, in San Francisco, USA, is a must try. It’s one of the most iconic and popular bakeries in the country. In 2002, a lovely couple named Elisabeth Pruiett and Chad Robertson opened this bakery when they found a baker, who was on the verge of retiring, sitting on the corner of the road. He was afraid the neighbourhood would lose its local bakery. The couple now makes more than 240 loaves of bread everyday. From croissants, cakes and even sandwiches, Tartine has it all. Country Sourdough bread, one of its most famous breads, is made using Chad’s special recipe, giving it a tangy and chewy texture. Elisabeth’s frangipane croissants is the bakery’s best seller.

2. Theobroma, India

Since I am from India, Theobroma was always my go-to bakery whenever I craved something sweet. I always ordered their six-piece brownie box filled with different flavours. I guarantee you have never tasted a softer brownie in your life. Theobroma opened in 2004 in Mumbai but now there are chains all over India. They offer amazing tarts, cakes, brownies and so many things that will make your mouth water.

3.  Hafiz Mustafa 1864, Istanbul

This infamous bakery in Istanbul is a must-try with their drool-worthy Turkish pastries and delights. Their most popular delight is called “Rahat-1-halkum.” Their bakery is also known for its salty pastry called pogaca. The bakery gives you a traditional vibe as it has been established for over 157 years. It is one of the most visited tourist bakeries with more than 11 awards in Europe. Make sure to check it out next time you are in Istanbul.

4.  E5 Bakehouse, London

This bakery offers homemade cakes and bread, all made with rich, organic ingredients, and is one of the most visited bakeries in London. They also organize weekly workshops dedicated to teaching people how to make bread.

5.  Du Pain et des Idées, Paris

Is it possible to go to Paris and not have a croissant? Obviously not. Du Pain et des Idees is your destination for Paris’ best croissants. This bakery is all about organic farming and ancestral baking techniques. Make sure to try their specials like The Fresh Apple Turnover and The Baker’s Flan.

Yanika Saluja

Toronto MU '25

Yanika is a Journalism student at Ryerson University. Her interests include writing, reading, binge watching series and drinking lots and lots of coffee. She feels that she has a unique point of view towards the world and she likes sharing it through her writings. She loves to travel and talking to new people. She can play a little guitar too!