This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

Whether through an elaborate plan or a simple, thoughtful gift, these acts are greatly appreciated by your significant other (SO). After all, gift-giving is an underrated love language. 

From its origins, Valentine’s Day has been associated with love. One common legend believes St. Valentine secretly married couples to spare their husbands from war. 

So why should that tradition change now? 

Here are some of the cutest ways to ask out your partner this Valentine’s season!

Flowers and chocolate with customized wrapping paper

Take a personalized twist on the classic flowers and chocolate with customized wrapping paper. 

As seen on TikTok, start from a newspaper template on Canva with the name of your partner or the holiday, and write about your love.

This can also be used to ask your girlies for Galentine’s. No matter who you decide to celebrate this day with, this adds a thoughtful touch to the gift! 

Alternative flowers

Do you feel your love is eternal, but the flowers keep dying? Try an alternative flower that lasts forever!

Buy a variety of Lego flowers similar to their favourite type, or choose a more traditional Lego rose bouquet as seen on TikTok.

If Lego is not for your partner, glitter roses or crochet roses will do. This way, your lover has a permanent reminder of you!

Valentine’s Gift Basket

Gift baskets aren’t only meant for Christmas! Create a personalized gift basket for your lover with a Valentine’s Day theme!

Add their favourite things, in pink or red, obviously! For inspiration, you can include their favourite plushie, chocolate, face masks, candies, and more goodies they like.

@brookemonk_

Always wanted to do this on Valentines Day ❤️ @mvmt #jointhemvmt #mvmtpartner

♬ kill bill sped up – user82719915485
Scavenger Hunt

Similar to a gift basket, this idea allows playful interactivity between you and your partner to scavenge the gifts! This can take place in your home, a car, or more!

Surprise Candle

Does your partner have a favourite scent? Want to make your night extra romantic? Light up a candle and ask them out to be your Valentine’s. The surprise aspect of the candle will be a message asking them to “Be my Valentine” or something along those lines. See an example from TikTok:

@patatas.na.hinog

it’s time to shoot your shot before it’s too late 🫣 scented candle from @asyers_candleco. ❤️❤️❤️

♬ Tenerife Sea – Ed Sheeran
Love letter or poem

Another way to win your partner’s heart from any distance can be as simple as with words. Be the next Cyrano de Bergerac (a famous fictionalized French poet) and show your love through words of affirmation — it’s quite another important love language, after all!

Don’t know how to write romantically? Watch an online tutorial!

Spotify Playlist

Not good with words? Create a personalized playlist with songs that remind you of them! This is also a great idea if you’re in a long-distance relationship. However, if you’re lucky enough to see them in person, pick your favourite and dance in a soft but caring moment until you ask them to be your Valentine’s.

Promise Ring

As seen on TikTok, a promise ring is a form of love and commitment when two people are serious about a relationship, as it represents the promise of a future! Most commonly seen on social media are Pandora rings, but look at some other budget-friendly options. Get ready to take your relationship to the next level!

Baking Date

Just because you have a Valentine doesn’t mean you can’t do cute “Galentine” inspired activities. Have a cute little baking date and make things heart-shaped or romantic! Examples of these can be chocolate-covered strawberries, heart-shaped pizzas, and more!

Give a crush SODA to your crush

It might sound cringey, but this is a perfect way to lock in your crush for Valentine’s Day! What more obvious way to say they’re your crush than this? Pick their favourite flavour, orange, grape, or strawberry, and you’re all set!

At the end of the day, as my partner creatively mentioned, Valentine’s Day is the day of the lovey doveys with your lovey-dovey. So go ask them out and enjoy the special day!

I'm a second-year Journalism student passionate about fashion, women's rights, wellness, film and the arts & culture! I've written in previous campus publications such as CanCulture, the Eyeopener, and the Society of the Creative School. I have also done some social media work with StyleCircle and the Tall Chair, as well as my summer job at the Ottawa Music Industry Coalition as a social media manager. I love to dress according to how I feel each day! Most of the time, it has to be a slay because every day is a fashion show and the world truly is our runway, as per the famous quote. My identity has always been surrounded by fashion, the arts, and my culture. For reference, I'm French Canadian and Gujurati. Can't wait to write with Her Campus! Yooopidoodles! :)