Photo of books stacked on shelf
Photo of books stacked on shelf
Samira Balsara

Classic Novels That Got Me Through Quarantine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

In my many months inside the house during the first lockdown, I found myself reading books already stocked on my family’s shelves. I could only spend so much money on new books from Indigo, so the next best things to read were my mother’s books from the late ‘80s.

After reading every classic novel in the house, I’ve narrowed down my favourites.  

little women

If you’re looking to get into classics, Little Women is a great book to start with. Published in 1868, this story, by Louisa May Alcott, follows four sisters: Meg, Jo, Beth and Amy— and tells the tale of their life from childhood to adulthood. 

The novel is set in Concord, Massachusetts, and explores the loss of innocence that comes with growing up and the struggles of womanhood — especially under the restrictions of 19th-century society. This is a feel-good book and a great read for the colder months.

The Custom of the country

If you’re a Gossip Girl fan, look no further because Edith Wharton’s novels are for you. While The Age of Innocence is a more popular read, Wharton’s 1913 novel, The Custom of the Country, really grasped my attention. 

The book tells the tale of Undine Spragg, a non-native to New York City who seeks to fit into society. Undine struggles to figure out what she truly wants, and while she lives a lavish lifestyle with multiple husbands, I saw her as a bit of a lost soul. This book sucks you into New York City and will captivate you from start to finish.

Les Misérables

Written by Victor Hugo in 1862, Les Misérables is iconic. It’s a long read but justified, as it outlines the nature of early 19th-century France, diving into the imbalance between the poor and rich and other social issues of the time.

Les Misérables follows the story of Jean Valjean, a poor man who has just been released from prison after serving 19 years. 

His crime? Stealing bread to feed his starving family. The story involves several characters but intertwines Jean’s journey through life after imprisonment. Les Misérables explores injustice in France and deals with romance, anti-monarchism and politics in the aftermath of Napoleon Bonaparte’s rule.

While the book requires some commitment, being 1,462 pages long, and is an emotional read, evident by its title, I believe it’s definitely worth reading. 

emma

“Emma Woodhouse, handsome, clever and rich, with a comfortable home and happy disposition, seemed to unite some of the best blessings of existence; and had lived nearly twenty-one years in the world with very little to distress or vex her.”

This is the opening of Jane Austen’s 1815 novel Emma. Set in the fictional Highbury, the book follows Emma Woodhouse, a 21-year-old woman who likes to play matchmaker. Emma attempts to set up her friends as she believes she’s rather good at it. 

However, things don’t always go as planned and lead to romantic misunderstandings. This is my favourite Jane Austen novel because Emma goes through serious character development in the story and truly learns from her mistakes. The film Clueless is actually based on Emma, so if you liked that movie, you will definitely enjoy this read. 

Anna Karenina

Written by Russian novelist Leo Tolstoy in 1878, Anna Karenina is one of those books I felt I had to read. While the novel is complex and a bit difficult to understand with all the Russian terminology, it had to make this list. 

Anna Karenina is about the eponymous woman and her complicated life. The book tells the tale of life in Imperial Russian society through the eyes of a few characters, including Anna. From the start, it was clear to me Anna lives a messy life and makes poor decisions. 

However, Anna isn’t the only one in the book with a messy life, as the book opens with Anna’s brother, Prince Stepan “Stiva” Arkadyevich Oblonsky, as he attempts to mend his relationship with his wife after having an affair with another woman.

I liked this book because of the aesthetics of certain scenes as well as how much it taught me about Russia. This one isn’t a very happy read, but I liked how the book doesn’t necessarily sympathize with Anna’s poor decisions, rather showing how while she may “have it all,” sometimes that isn’t enough to create happiness.

The Count of Monte Cristo

If you are looking to read a classic adventure novel, Alexandre Dumas’ 1844 novel, The Count of Monte Cristo, will deliver just that. Set in France and Italy during the era of the Bourbon Restoration through the reign of Louis-Philippe of France, the story is about a young man named Edmond Dantès. On the eve of his wedding, Edmond is wrongfully framed for a crime, and after six years of solitary confinement, plans to escape.

The novel takes you through his entertaining escape from prison and elaborate revenge scheme on those who did him wrong. This book was a swashbuckling whirlwind and the first of my quarantine reads. I highly recommend this book if you just want to read something fun.

Samira Balsara

Toronto MU '23

Samira Balsara is a fourth-year journalism student at Toronto Metropolitan University. She is interested in pursuing a career as a news anchor or a career in fashion journalism. Apart from writing, she likes music (mainly Taylor Swift), reading and making Pinterest boards.