Beat Boredom this Winter with 5 At-Home Hobbies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

As the days get darker and the nights get colder, it’s easy to allow yourself to doom scroll for hours on end. If you can’t spend your days outdoors, what else is there to do?

Since I’m never one to stick with a singular hobby, I’ve compiled some of my favourite indoor activities to save you from boredom this winter. 

Journaling

If you think journaling is just about feelings, that’s where you’ve gone wrong. Keeping a journal can be much more than a written documentation of your bad days. 

You can write lists of your favourite movies, songs, TV shows, books, recipes and more — you name it! By keeping track of these seemingly frivolous preferences, you’re creating a time capsule of who you are at this moment. Future you will thank you when they get to look back on just how much you loved the Barbie movie. 

If you’re more on the artsy side, you can also incorporate doodles, photos or even collages into your journal. For inspiration, check out my favourite prompts for reflection, mornings, lists and more. As long as you’re filling the page, you’re filling time!

Baking

Looking for a hobby with instant gratification? Baking just might be for you. While it’s a super cozy activity for the wintertime, you get a tasty reward afterwards, too!

A personal favourite habit of mine is to bake something new each Sunday. That way, you’ll always have a delicious, homemade dessert to indulge in during your busy week instead of splurging at pricy bakeries.

This winter, try making snickerdoodles, pumpkin chocolate chip cookies, scones or even the famous Taylor Swift chai cookies! If you run out of ideas, there are plenty of easy, scrumptious recipes to follow on TikTok or YouTube.

Snickerdoodle cookies by @liviabenson
Crochet/Knitting

Want something more time-consuming? Try taking up crochet or knitting! While these crafts can take a long time to perfect, they’re the perfect option for the multitasker who likes to watch TV or YouTube in the background. 

I took up crochet last winter break, and it was one of the most rewarding hobbies I’ve tried to date. After a few weeks of practice, I was making hats, scarves, headbands and room decor with ease. 

Try following YouTube or TikTok tutorials to get started. There are so many beginner-friendly free patterns and designs for you to use — all you need is yarn, needles/hooks and patience!

Reading

If creating isn’t your jam, consider picking up reading. Teachers probably forced you to read throughout your years in school, but I promise it can be more than just homework. 

Were you never able to get into reading before? Try switching it up! Test out a new genre, or even listen to an audiobook if you’re a gal on the go.

The great thing about reading is that there are so many different books out there. Some recent favourites of mine include Circe by Madeline Miller, The Lighthouse Witches by C.J. Cooke and The Last Heir to Blackwood Library by Hester Fox.

With varying length, subject, genre and medium, there is undoubtedly an option for everyone — you just have to find yours.

Starting a YouTube channel

I know that, at some point in your life, you’ve at least been tempted to start a YouTube channel. Why not make it a reality? 

All you need is yourself, something to record with (even just a smartphone) and time. Putting together long-form video content can be a lengthy process, but it can come with incredible rewards. By creating, you are also bringing together a community of like-minded people from all over the world, and you might even make money in the process!

On top of that, you could create a YouTube channel about any of the previous recommendations! You might not make it big right away, but hey! At least you’re creating something rather than mindlessly consuming other people’s content.

There are endless hobbies to choose from, so you’re bound to find one that will keep you occupied. Now, all that’s left to do is to get started. Happy hobby-ing! 

Pursuing a Bachelor's Degree in Fashion Communications at Toronto Metropolitan University (formerly Ryerson), Maddison provides expertise in social media, graphic design, and marketing through the eyes of the younger generation. She has a passion for written and visual storytelling, with experience writing and managing journalistic publications throughout her years in education. Maddison is an articulate writer in both English and French and continues to pursue language post-secondary through an English minor.