5 TV Shows I’m Loving Right Now

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

With the exception of a few, I have never really been one for reality TV. Instead, I’ve always loved a good thriller or drama series––and here are some of my favourites right now.

1. The Dropout: Available on Hulu

With many recent business start-up scandals being the centre of attention for TV series and podcasts, The Dropout is no exception. If you have seen Inventing Anna on Netflix and enjoyed it, I highly recommend checking out this series! The Dropout is based on the podcast series that tells the story about the rise and fall behind the once-famed company Theranos and its founder Elizabeth Holmes. Holmes was once the young and beloved self-made billionaire who inspired millions with her desire to change the world with her blood-testing start-up. However, when suspicions arose around Theranos leading to several investigations, it was revealed that the revolutionary technology was not quite what it seemed. This eight-episode miniseries starring Amanda Seyfriend (Elizabeth Holmes) does a great job of detailing Holmes’ story and how she managed to fool the world… for a while. 

1. Bridgerton (Season 2): Available on Netflix

The highly-anticipated second season of the period drama series recently dropped on Netflix. This season, we return to the wealthy Bridgerton family, focusing on the eldest brother Anthony, who is set on finding himself a wife. During his quest, he is introduced to the two Sharma Sisters, Kate and Edwina. He sets his sights on the youngest of the two, Edwina, who has won the queen’s favour. The problem: He has already met and started to fall in love with Kate. If you love a good enemies-to-lovers romance, you don’t want to miss out on this season of Bridgerton!

1. WeCrashed: Available on Apple TV+ 

On the trend of shows about “scammers,” WeCrashed is yet another one I am invested in. This miniseries centres around the rise and fall of the coworking space startup WeWork. The coworking space company quickly went from an industry disruptor valued at close to $47 billion to a chaotic mess with inevitable problems under the leadership of cult-like CEO Adam Neumann. 

1. Suspicion: Available on Apple TV+  

For anyone who loves watching anything with a bit of crime and drama, Suspicion is a new TV thriller series on Apple TV+ that is worth a watch. When the son of PR and media mogul businesswoman Katherine Newman (Uma Thurman) is kidnapped, suspicion quickly falls on four seemingly ordinary British citizens. The lives of the accused Brits are torn apart as they race against time to prove their innocence. 

1. Pachinko: Available on Apple TV+

This is the one show I’m recommending that I have yet to watch, however, I wanted to include it as it is next on my list. Based on Min Jin Lee’s best-selling novel, Pachinko chronicles stories about multiple generations of a Korean family through the 20th century from when they first moved to Japan-occupied Korea. This trilingual TV series is said to have successfully captured the book’s heavy subject matter from generational trauma to colonialism, in a sweeping yet stunningly produced way. 

Vanessa Tan

Toronto MU '24

Vanessa is a Creative Industries student studying at Ryerson University, in Toronto, Ontario. She loves to spend all of her money on fashion magazines, coffee, and pastries! In her spare time, she loves to create content for her Instagram fashion blog @vvinthecity