5 Things To Do To Improve Your Daily Commute

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

With another school year already in full swing, that means commuting. I’m guessing that 98.45% of us either listen to music, study, nap, or scroll through Instagram while we commute, am I right? Still, do you ever find yourself wanting to mix things up?

Let’s be honest. Not only can commuting be annoying, but it can be extremely draining after a long day of classes. I mean, you can only study so much during your commute. Studying sucks, let alone on the subway or GO train. So the question remains, how do you make your commute more interesting? 

Now, as somebody who comes from good old Scarborough, I constantly seek out new ways to keep myself occupied during my 60-75 minute commute. And don’t worry if you don’t have WiFi or data; the suggestions below are all activities you can do offline! Without further ado, here are five ways to improve your daily commute.

1. Read articles on Pocket

You might be wondering, “What in the world is Pocket?” Essentially, it is an app (and a browser extension) that allows users to save news articles to their phones for offline reading. I highly recommend this app if you are a news junkie or want to read interesting articles about productivity tips, exercise habits, and how to save money amongst other things. For example, I recently read an article titled “The American Mall’s Long Goodbye,” which was fascinating! That article I found in the Discover tab where Pocket suggests trending topics about anything and everything. You will definitely learn a lot during your commute by brushing up on current affairs through Pocket. 

2. Listen to podcasts

For those who are not particularly fond of listening to podcasts, hear me out! Think of them like easily digestible audiobooks that are much shorter and enjoyable. I’ve learned so much from podcasts about niche topics like Watergate to how to write a television pilot to confirmation bias. There is a podcast for everyone. If you want recommendations, click here to read my article, “10 Podcasts You Should Start Listening To.

Season 3 Podcast GIF by The Good Place - Find & Share on GIPHY
Universal Television, The Good Place via GIPHY
3. Watch a TV episode or movie 

If you’ve read any of my previous articles, you might recall that I am a massive television nerd and film enthusiast. Like many others, I have a never-ending list of shows I’m either in the middle of watching or have yet to watch. 

The solution? Kill two birds with one stone by making your daily commute more enjoyable while tackling your list of movies and TV shows! For example, getting to school, I can finish three episodes of Abbott Elementary or one episode of Succession, or half of a feel-good 90s rom-com (You’ve Got Mail, anybody?). 

Just remember to download the movie or episode onto your device beforehand to ensure you can watch it offline.

4. Doodle
Seth Meyers Writing GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers - Find & Share on GIPHY
Universal Television, Late Night With Seth Meyers via GIPHY

How many of us have doodled in our notebooks or tablets when we get bored in class? I know I have. Doodling is not only fun, but it’s also a great way to release stress and cure boredom. And the great thing about doodling is that you don’t have to be remotely good at drawing. Whether it be your surroundings, never-ending swirls (I am guilty of doing this) or something completely abstract, doodling is liberating. From my personal experience, actually putting pen to paper to sketch whatever strikes me at that particular moment has also helped me find inspiration for a side project I am working on. What are you waiting for? Start doodling!

5. Write your thoughts down on paper 

For anyone who loves writing, this one is for you. Similar to doodling, writing is therapeutic. If you’ve had a stressful day, the ability to vent through writing can really help process your thoughts and emotions. And fear not, grammar and punctuation do not matter in this scenario. Trust me, it does wonders to your mental health.

Writing a to-do list is another option. Let’s say you had four classes today. That is a lot of content and due dates to digest. Sometimes, you’ll feel so overwhelmed and have no clue as to where to start in tackling your school work. Enter writing to-do lists. As you probably know, lists can help you keep organized and will be a good starting point in what tasks to do first.

Finally, quickly jotting down random things that pop into your head can help generate even more ideas that might spark a new side project or unknowingly help you solve a problem you’ve been experiencing.

Conclusion

Commuting to and from campus can range from 10 minutes to two hours, if not more, so why not make the most of it? Whether it be listening to a podcast or doodling in your sketchbook, hopefully, you’ll be wondering where the time went. Have a great rest of your semester everyone!

This article is not sponsored. All views expressed are solely of the author.

Amanda Noor

Toronto MU '24

Amanda Noor is a fourth-year Creative Industries student at Toronto Metropolitan University. She's a huge movie and TV buff and American history and political junkie. When she's not writing articles for Her Campus, you can find her watching sitcoms from the 80s and 90s or daydreaming about living in New York City.