This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

“UT-Austin canceling classes, closing operations March 13”: the headline that kept spring break 2020 and spring break 2021 (depending on your vaccination status) from being a hot girl spring break.

With COVID-19 cases decreasing, the availability of the booster shot, and venues opening back up, it is our time to have a hot girl spring break! I compiled a playlist to get you hyped up for your spring break.

When putting this playlist together, I felt like Doja Cat was the star of the show. She gave banger after banger! At the end of June, she released “Planet Her,” which made No.1 on the Billboard R&B Albums Chart. Whether scrolling through TikTok or driving listening to the radio, you will definitely hear a Doja Cat song. “Kiss Me More,” is my favorite because it is so light and danceable and it features SZA!

Lil Nas X doesn’t care what you think as long as it’s about him! He made headlines last March with his “MONTERO (Call Me By Your Name)” music video, and then made headlines again this summer with Jack Harlow and their song “Industry Baby.” While this song got everyone simping over a white man again on the timeline, it also made a statement about how the music industry is treating him.

Britney Spears’ song, “Gimme More” has stayed at the top of the top hits this summer because of a TikTok trend. Isn’t it crazy how TikTok brings so many songs back from the 2000s and determines at least half of the top hits charts? For that reason, “Bills Bills Bills” by Destiny’s Child is also required to be on this playlist.

The playlist wouldn’t be complete without some classics from 2019. Since 2020 temporarily shut down the music industry, there was not much to choose from that year. When listening to the playlist of the top hits on Spotify trying to find music to put into this playlist, I felt like we made summer 2021 a sad girl summer – what’s that about? 

Did you think I would forget to mention the record-breaking artist of the year? While Olivia Rodrigo’s music is music you scream in the car while driving on the highway after being broken up with, she still has a few songs that will get you hyped up.

Last but certainly not least, the woman who invented the “hot girl summer” – is Megan Thee Stallion. Her album, “Good News” saved my sanity in 2020. Her single “Thot Shit” of course made the playlist as well as the classics that put her on the charts.

Whether you are driving in the car to the grocery store or getting ready to go out with the girls, this playlist is guaranteed to get you hyped up!

Hi everyone! I am a senior graduating from The University of Texas at Austin in December 2022 with a major in accounting and a minor in journalism. I love writing about wellness and will do some music or game reviews from time to time. I hope you enjoy reading my articles!