You Know That Books Are Made From Trees, Right?

Well, to be precise, traditional print books are made from trees. There’s much more that goes into the process of making a book or e-book, especially as new technologies develop and environmental action is taken. In honor of Earth Week, here are some inside tidbits about the sustainable (and not sustainable) parts of the publishing industry and how you, lovely reader, can be conscious about responsible reading!

1. 1. There’s a legit certification for sustainable publishing

Green Press Initiative (GPI) works to help publishers conserve natural resources and created the Environmentally Responsible Publisher Certification (ERPC) to help brand and spread the idea of sustainable publishing. This certification works like the LEED certifications for buildings: bronze, silver, and gold tiers show how far a publisher has gone to be eco-friendly. Supporting those publishers means supporting green publishing.

2. 2. E-readers Vs. Print Books

This is a tricky topic because of all the manufacturing and individual use of both products’ nuances. In fact, it’s so tricky that I’m going to summarize the info in a table:

Materials for E-readers  

33 lb. minerals 

79 gal. water

Lots of landfill waste 

Materials for Print

2/3 lb. minerals (w/recycled paper)

2 gal. water

Massive emissions from tree harvesting 

Emissions from E-readers 

65 lb. of CO2

Toxic emissions from the minerals

Emissions from Print

7.5 kg of CO2

Traditional ink and volatile organic compounds

Usage for E-readers

No backlighting to read = less energy use

Needs electricity to charge

Ease of access

Usage for Print

Read w/o electric lighting = even less energy use

Can be shared/donated, generally longer lifespan

Disposal of E-readers

There’s way too much E-waste already

Improper recycling = common and workers in developing countries are exposed to the toxic minerals

Disposal of Print 

A landfilled book releases twice the emissions than during manufacturing

It’s so sad =(

Upcycle if nothing else

In the end, how well you’ll be able to offset the purchase of an e-reader depends on your reading habits. Some studies say one must read at least 40 – 50 books, while others go up to 100+ with human health factored in. And, of course, these numbers are for e-readers. There are plenty of devices that have online reading capability that you might already own (and hopefully not replace every year).

3. 3. Orphaned Books

As in, print books that don’t get sold. Big publishers calculate for an initial print run—the amount of books printed for a launch—but their circumspection for customer purchases means a possibility of surplus. What do booksellers do with the extras? If they are trade books (hardcovers and high-quality paperbacks), the books are returned to the publisher, who then sell them to discount and online shops like Half Price Books or Daedalus Books. These are called “remaindered” books and cannot be returned to the publisher (marked by that ink slash on the bottom!).

However, if the books are mass-made paperbacks, booksellers tear off the cover, send it to the publisher for credit, and then send the rest of the pages to be repulped. However, these “stripped” books sometimes are stolen and sold in underhanded practices.

4. 4. This industry sounds incredibly irresponsible.

Well, I could say that with any industry. Remember that industries want to make a profit. The GPI noted that cutting the size of initial print runs and turning to printing on demand instead would substantially help the environment, although the uptake has been quite slow. Some practices have been improving even among the big houses, like Penguin Random House, to reach “climate neutrality” by 2030, or companies increasingly using 100% sustainably sourced paper or soy-based ink generally more recycle and health-friendly.

5. 5. What Can I Do? I’m Just Me

And that, lovely reader, is all you need to be. There are many individual choices that you can make to impact your book experience and the environment.

If you’re a reader:

Go to the library! Reading shared books keeps more out of the landfill and helps support authors. 

Know your reading habits and think about the resources (e.g. electricity) you individually use to read

Buy books sparingly, used/recycled, and watch for seals and notes of post/pre-consumer content and responsibility certifications.

Look for chlorine-free (chlorine = toxic) and thinner paper (fewer trees used and less weight for transportation) 

If you’re an author/publisher:

Sell to a library! Just as libraries help your potential customers, they can help you circulate books and buzz and reach new readers.

Inquire about the process and see where changes could be made to the supply chain—is the paper sustainably sourced? Can we consider moving towards achieving an ERPC?

Request limited initial book runs and suggest print on demand

Ask to use soy-based ink

Contact me and integrate me into your ingroup 〒▽〒