This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

We’re entering that halfway stage of the semester where the novelty of our new classes has worn off and they’re now a part of our everyday routine. And unfortunately for myself, and I’m sure many other undergrads out there, the temptation to hit snooze on your alarm just “one more time” is growing and sometimes ultimately outweighs the desire to attend your morning lecture/lab/discussion session, etc. As we all know, once you start the habit of skipping a class it’s hard to stop. Hopefully, these tips will aid you on your academic journey and make your early morning routine a bit more bearable.

• Find a physical incentive to wake up
    • Whether it be a nice warm shower, a mood-boosting morning workout, or my personal favorite (however basic), an iced latte accompanied by a chocolate croissant from Starbucks, sometimes the push you need to get out of bed is a bit of excitement. Endorphin-boosting experiences sometimes work better than simply telling yourself “to wake up early” and are much more enjoyable.
  • Plan an outfit the night before
    • I know this tip seems a bit juvenile, but feeling good about how you look will make you feel better about going to class. Showing off your ability to put together an outfit and accessories will give you the confidence boost that encourages you to start your day on the right foot by attending your first class.
  • Find a way to be held accountable
    • Without your parents being there to remind you to get up for a class in the mornings, it can be hard to motivate yourself to attend class when there are no immediate repercussions to skipping. To help fix this, find a classmate or a friend who also has an early class time and make an effort to hold each other accountable for going to your classes
  • Simplify your morning routine
    • If the very concept of crawling out of your bed in the morning to do your menial tasks is what’s preventing your perfect attendance, make it easier on yourself and transfer some of your morning routine activities to your nightly routine. Instead of packing your backpack the morning of, pack it the night before or meal prep your breakfast for a less stressful wake-up routine.

Even with all of these tips and tricks, it’s important to remember that you’re allowed mental health days to give your mind and body back on track, however, make sure not to make it a habit and remember you ultimately have to have the mindset to commit to attending your classes. It’s easy to give into playing hooky when you look at a class at face value, but every class you’ve registered to take at your university is an investment you’re making in your future. The way you spend your days is the way you live your life. Attending all of your classes, including the early ones, is a daily habit worth integrating into your life. 

Ella Wick

Texas '26

Hi, my name is Ella Wick and I'm a Sophomore English major at The University of Texas! My hobbies include reading, watching movies, listening to music, cooking, and missing my cats while on campus! I'm really passionate about writing and hope to pursue a career in writing/publishing. I love writing about all sorts of topics but especially love pop culture, beauty, style, film, music and wellness.